11: Hermione's Birthday

The four friends returned to the castle for lunch, their stomachs desperately craving food as Hagrid's treacle toffee wasn't exactly edible. Ron was still hiccoughing, but only occasionally, and bringing up two, very small slugs.

They had just entered the cool Entrance Hall when a voice rang out. "There you are, Potter, Weasley." Professor McGonagall was walking towards them, looking stern. "You both do your detentions this evening."

Harry glared at Y/N as he gave him a playful smirk.

"What are we doing, Professor?" said Ron, nervously surpressing a burp.

"You will be polishing the silver in the trophy room with Mr Filch," said Professor McGonagall. "And no magic, Weasley - elbow grease."

Ron gulped. Argus Filch, the caretaker, was loathed by every student in the school. Especially Y/N, who was disgusted my the man's pleasure of making children suffer.

"And you, Potter, will be helping Professor Lockhart answer his fan mail," said Professor McGonagall.

Y/N clenched his fist.

"Oh no - can't I go and do the trophy room, too?" said Harry desperately.

"Certainly not." said Professor McGonagall, raising her eyebrows. "Professor Lockhart requested you particularly. Eight o' clock sharp, both of you."

It took every bit of will in Y/N's body not to swear right there and then. So the fraud was 'requesting' for Harry to answer his fan mail was he? When was that arrogant buffoon going deflate his oversized ego? In his delusional state of mind, did he think he was doing Harry a favour? Teaching him 'how to be famous' or something ridiculous like that?

Y/N and Hermione followed Harry and Ron as they slouched into the Great Hall in states of depressed gloom. Hermione kept throwing them a well-you-did-break-school-rules sort of expression.

"Filch'll have me there all night," said Ron heavily. "No magic! There must be a hundred cups in that room. I'm no good at muggle cleaning."

"I'd swap anytime." said Harry hollowly. "I've had loads of practice with the Dursleys. Answering Lockhart's fan mail... he'll be a nightmare..."

"You're telling me mate." said Y/N sympathetically. "I guarantee you that he sees you as his little 'celebrity in training'."

Ron snorted with laughter at that, and Harry gave a grin before saying, "The scary thing is, that's probably true."

"Don't worry." Y/N said. "Just make it blatantly clear that your not interested and he'll leave you alone."

Harry sighed. "I'm not you, Y/N. I can't say things like that so bluntly. I'll never know how you do it."

"Its a gift, my friend."

Hermione seemed to be disapproving of this conversation against Lockhart. "You shouldn't be talking about a teacher like that, Y/N, Harry."

"Meh." Y/N and Harry said in unison. Ron laughed again.

Saturday afternoon seemed to melt away after lunch that day, and in what seems like no time to Harry and Ron, it was five minutes to eight, and the two of them had left the commom room to their detentions, leaving Y/N and Hermione studying together.

After around an hour of silent studying, Y/N and Hermione put their textbooks away and just chatted. It was something they did at times. Just talking about random things. It was one of the little things that made their friendship so strong.

"Y/N?"

"Yeah Hermione?"

"You know when Malfoy called me... y'know... and you hit him?"