33: Slaying The Serpent

"Now, Harry, Y/N, I'm going to teach you two a little lesson. Let's match the powers of Lord Voldemort, Heir of Slytherin, against Harry Potter and Y/N L/N, two of the most well known names in the modern wizard community, and the best weapons Dumbledore can give them."

Riddle cast an amused eye over Fawkes and the Sorting Hat, then walked away. Y/N watched Riddle stop between the high pillars and look into the stone face of Slytherin, high above him in the half darkness. Riddle opened his mouth wide and hissed in Parseltongue, and whatever he said made Harry shiver in fear, and wheel around to look up at the statue, Y/N followed suit.

Slytherin's gigantic face was moving. The mouth opened wider and wider, to make a huge black hole.

And something was stirring inside the statue's mouth. Something was slithering up from its depths.

"Shut your eyes, idiot!" yelled Y/N at Harry, who stood, frozen in fear.

Fawkes took flight from Y/N's shoulder. Both the boys backed into the dark Chamber wall, eyes shut tight.

Something huge hit the stone floor of the Chamber, Y/N felt it shudder. He knew what was happening, he could sense it. He then heard Riddle speak in Parseltongue again.

Y/N didn't know it, but as the Basilisk began to slither towards them, Harry slipped and fell to the floor, the sounds of Riddle's cackling laughter was like poison to his ears.

Y/N had stayed exactly where he was, thinking rapidly, his brain whirring at incredible speeds. What can I do? Riddle has both of our wands, we have no form of defense, and if we open our eyes, we're dead. What the hell can we do? Logically, there's no way we can -

You know what?

Screw logic.

No longer thinking straight, and practically feeling the sanity drain from his brain, his eyes snapped open.

Come at me, you damn snake.

Oddly enough, opening his eyes didn't kill him there and then, but instead, the serpent collided into both he and Harry so hard they smashed against the wall.

But Y/N still wasn't dead.

The enormous serpent, bright, poisonous green, thick as an oak trunk, had raised itself high in the air and its great blunt head was weaving drunkenly between the pillars. His logical thinking suddenly returning to him, he was ready to shut his eyes again, and then he saw what had distracted the snake.

Fawkes was soaring around its head, and the Basilisk was snapping furiously at him with fangs long and thin as sabres.

Fawkes dived. His long beak sank out of sight and a sudden shower of dark blood spattered the floor. The snake's tail thrashed, narrowly missing Y/N and Harry, and before Y/N could shut his eyes, it turned. Y/N looked straight into its face, and saw that its eyes, both its great bulbous yellow eyes, had been punctured by the phoenix; blood was steaming to the floor and the snake was spitting in agony.

Riddle was now furiously screaming in Parseltongue.

Harry, who had also opened his eyes, gazed upon the Sorting Hat, and he seized it. The snake's tail whipped across the floor again.

"What the hell are you doing?" Y/N shouted desperately as Harry jammed the hat on his head, muttering under his breath.

Damnit, has he lost his mind? He thought.

His eyes completely fixed on the serpent, he didn't notice Harry collapse slightly, pull off the hat, and fall to his knees, dizzy as something had hit him on the head.