14: The Story Of The Chamber

For a few days, the school could talk of little but the attack on Mrs Norris, and who the supposed culprit had been. Filch kept it fresh in everyone's minds by pacing the spot where she had been attacked, as though he thought the attacker might come back. He could be seen scrubbing the message on the wall with 'Mrs Skower's All-Purpose Magical Mess Remover', but to no effect; the words still gleamed as brightly as ever on the stone. When Filch wasn't guarding the scene of the crime, he was skulking red-eyed through the corridors, lunging out at unsuspecting students and trying to put them in detention for things like 'breathing loudly' or 'looking happy'. Y/N had already been victim to seventeen of these unjust punishments.

Speaking of which, Y/N had (to Harry, Ron and Hermione's relief) not spoken a word about what Hermione had said that night after she had profusely apologised, he simply pretended nothing had been said, however, Hermione had noticed that he was a lot quieter as of late and (much to her shock) stopped giving annoyed outbursts during Lockhart's lessons, and simply sat quietly and did what little relavant work was given, if work was given that he found to be unneeded or unimportant, he simply left it out and doodled on his notebooks. When she questioned him about it one morning, he had simply shrugged and went down to breakfast.

Ginny Weasley seemed very disturbed by Mrs Norris's fate. According to Ron, she was a great cat-lover.

"But you hadn't really got to know Mrs Norris," Ron told her bracingly. "Honestly, we're much better off without her." Ginny's lip trembled. "Stuff like this doesn't happen often at Hogwarts," Ron assured her. "They'll catch the nutter who did it and have him out of here in no time. I just hope he's got time to Petrify Filch before he's expelled. I'm only joking-" Ron added hastily, as Ginny blanched.

Y/N had noticed how upset the girl was, and Ron's pathetic attempt in trying to comfort her, it reminded him of Ellie, he imagined how she'd react in such a situation. And so, he had given instructions to his icy-white cat, Coconut, to play with Ginny and keep her company from time to time, hoping it would cheer the girl up. His plan was a success. Every now and then, he noticed her getting to her lessons, giggling with Coconut at her heels, the two if them even played together in the common room. Ginny wasn't actually aware that Coconut was Y/N's cat, if she did, she'd probably run screaming away from her instead of playing with her, and Y/N intended to keep it that way. He even strictly told Ron, Fred and George not to tell Ginny who Coconut belonged to, and Percy was too much of a stuck-up git to pay attention to who his sister was playing with.

When Fred and George had learned of Y/N's part in Ginny's sudden happiness one night in the library, they marched right up to Y/N and hugged him, pretending to cry.

"You're too kind Y/N!" Fred sobbed comically.

"Taking care of our little sister the way you are," cried George, "You are truly a glorified soul! A noble spirit! A brave-"

"Alright, shut up you two." Y/N grumbled as Harry and Ron burst out laughing.

Hermione and Y/N were spending most of their spare time in the library, much to Harry and Ron's bewilderment, but the two of them were both researching the same thing, the legend of the Chamber of Secrets.

Hermione had been certain she had read the legend before, and Y/N hadn't read it at all. Unfortunately the both of them had left their copies of Hogwarts: A History at home to make room for all the Lockhart books, and for some odd reason, the copy that Y/N had gotten Hermione for her birthday had no records of it.

Hermione had told Y/N that there was something in the story that could involve the reason for the Petrifications, and the message on the wall had said that a 'Chamber' had been opened.

When Harry and Y/N had entered the Library one day, they had found Ron measuring his History of Magic homework, and Hermione burst in a few minutes later from between the bookshelves, looking irritable.