5: Two Racist Idiots And One Arrogant Fool

After their visit to Gringotts (Harry and Y/N felt horrible when the Weasely's had seen their overflowing vaults compared to their small pile of Sickles), they all separated. Mrs Weasley had told Harry, Ron, and Hermione to meet them in Flourish and Blotts in an hour, completely ignoring Y/N. Annie had gone with Mrs Granger back into the Leaky Cauldon to chat, and Mr Granger was unfortunately dragged off with Mr Weasley, who had insisted on getting him a drink.

Y/N, Harry, Hermione, Ron and Ellie wandered around, exploring and examining the fascinating shop windows, Harry, (much to Ellie's delight) had bought them all ice cream, which the five children slurped happily.

Hermione and Ellie were hitting it off, they hung back a little, chatting and giggling while the three boys caught up.

"So, why didn't you get our letters?" Y/N asked Harry.

Harry explained the House Elf named Dobby who had stolen all his letters to stop him from attending Hogwarts.

"What a strange elf..." Y/N pondered.

As they went from shop to shop, buying their necessary equipment, they met Fred and George in Gambol and Japes Wizarding Joke Shop, and Percy in a shabby old shop full of broken wands, immersed in a small and deeply boring book called Prefects Who Gained Power.

"He should learn how to be a proper Prefect before reading that..." Y/N mumbled, remembering Percy's unfair punishments given to him the previous year. Ron grimaced in agreement.

"Course, he's very ambitious, Percy, he's got it all planned out... he wants to be Minister of Magic." he said.

"Let's hope that never happens."

An hour later, they headed for Flourish and Blotts. They found a large crowd of people jostling outside the doors, trying to get in. The reason for this was proclaimed by a large banner stretched across the Upper window.

GILDEROY LOCKHART
will be signing copies of his autobiography
*MAGICAL ME*
today 12.30 - 4.30 pm

"We can actually meet him!" Hermione squealed. "I mean, he's written almost the whole booklist!"

Y/N kept rereading the banner. "'Magical Me?'" he scoffed. "Well this guy's the epitome of modesty, I can already tell." he said sarcastically.

The crowd seemed to be made up mostly of witches. A harassed-looking wizard stood at the door, saying, "Calmly, please ladies... don't push, there... mind the books now..."

The five children squeezed inside. They each grabbed a copy of Break With A Banshee and sneaked their way up to the line where the rest of the Weasley's were standing with Mr and Mrs Granger and Annie. Y/N managed to overhear Mrs Weasley and Percy attempt to give some bad information about him to Annie, who thankfully wasn't listening.

At the sight of him, Ginny squeaked and hid behind her mother, which gave him the impression that she was afraid of him. He didn't exactly blame her.

Gilderoy Lockhart then came slowly into view, seated at a table surrounded by large pictures of his own face, all winking and flashing dazzlingly white teeth at the crowd. The real Lockhart was wearing robes of forget-me-not blue which matched his eyes, his pointed wizard's hat was set at a jaunty angle on his wavy blonde hair.

Y/N immediately disliked him. He had an aura of pride and snobbishness about him, as if he was better than anyone else.

A short, irritable-looking man was dancing around taking photographs with a large black camera that emitted puffs of purple smoke with every blinding flash.