25: Advice

All day long, the dwarfs kept barging into their classes to deliver Valentines, to the annoyance of the teachers, but the students would laugh whenever they saw them, as it was a jolly reminder of the anonymous prank set on Lockhart, and Fred and George were determined to meet the culprit of such a marvelous display. Late that afternoon, as the Gryffindors were walking upstairs for Charms, one of the dwarfs caught up with Harry.

"Oy, you! 'Arry Potter!" shouted a particularly grim-looking dwarf, elbowing people out of the way to get to Harry.

No doubt embarrassed at the thought of being given a Valentine in front of a queue of first years, which happened to include Ginny Weasley, Harry tried to escape. The dwarf, however, cut his way through the crowd by kicking people's shins, and reached him before he'd gone two paces.

Y/N, who was having mixed feelings about the whole thing, stood in the sidelines, wondering whether he should step in because he found the dwarf annoying, or whether he should watch because he wanted to tease Harry about it.

"I've got a musical message to deliver to 'Arry Potter on person," the dwarf said, twanging his harp in a threatening sort of way.

"Not here," Harry hissed, trying to escape.

"Stay still!" grunted the dwarf, grabbing hold of Harry's bag, and pulling him back.

"Let me go!" Harry snarled, tugging.

With a loud ripping noise, his bag split in two. His books, wand, parchment and quill spilled onto the floor and his ink bottle smashed over the lot.

Harry scrambled around, trying to pick it all up before the dwarf could start singing, causing something of a hold-up in the corridor.

"What's going on here?" came the cold, drawling voice of Draco Malfoy. Harry started stuffing everything feverishly into his ripped bag, desperate to get away before Malfoy could hear his musical Valentine.

Y/N figured it was time to step in. As much as he wanted to tease Harry, letting Malfoy hear the song would be torture for him, he wasn't going to let his friend become the laughing stock of the entire school, which he would be if Malfoy went around blabbing.

Before he could step out of the crowd, another familiar voice called out, "What's all this commotion?" Percy Weasley had arrived.

This was a problem. If Y/N stepped in now it would be the perfect excuse for Percy to punish Gryffindor and make Y/N look bad. Under normal circumstances Y/N wouldn't really care and intervine anyway, but Ginny Weasley was with the queue of first years, and he felt like he had already scared her enough this year. If he ever wanted her to be the next Weasley on his list to accept him, getting into a spat with her brother was not something recommended.

Harry, looking shamelessly pathetic, tried to make a run for it, but the dwarf seized him around the knees and brought him crashing to the floor.

"Right," he said, sitting on Harry's ankles, "Here's your singing Valentine:

"His eyes are as green as a fresh pickled toad,
His hair is as dark as a blackboard.
I wish he was mine, he's really divine,
The hero who conquered the Dark -"

The dwarf was interrupted, when Y/N had pulled out his wand and said, "Glacius!", causing a jet of blue light to hit the dwarf before he could finish, entrapping him in a thin sheet of ice.

"Damn, that dwarf is terrible at singing." Y/N muttered as he helped Harry up.

Percy did his best to disperse the crowd as they laughed, some of whom were crying with mirth but not before eagerly taking ten points off Gryffindor for Y/N using a spell in the corridors.