20: Caught In The Act

Ever since he had learned he was a Parselmouth, Harry seemed much more panicked and insecure for the next few days, not eating much, not sleeping much. Y/N suspected that he was starting to believe that he could be the Heir of Slytherin, but Y/N knew that was just Harry over-thinking things as usual, the possibility was less likely than Lockhart's stories turning out to be one-hundred percent true.

But Harry was starting to get nightmares, and it became clear to Y/N that he could not handle the pressure of the possibility of Slytherin being his ancestor, and the fact that people were starting to suspect that it had been he who had opened the Chamber of Secrets definitely wasn't helping his paranoia. So Y/N decided to do something about it, before Harry cracked under the pressure.

On the last day of term, Herbology had been cancelled, much to Neville's dismay and Y/N's delight, so the second years had a free period. Harry used this this time to look for Justin Finch-Fletchley in the library, and inform him of what really happened at the Duelling Club, however, he had found Y/N already there, listening in on the conversation of a few Hufflepuffs.

"So anyway," a stout boy was saying, "I just told Justin to hide up in our dormitory. I mean to say, of Potter's marked him down as his next victim, it's best if he keeps a low profile for a while. Y'know, at first I thought it was L/N who was responsible for the attacks, but Potter knows Parseltoungue. He pretty much gave himself away, and he was there when Mrs Norris was attacked. L/N and the rest of Potter's gang are probably just his apprentices, helping him out whenever they can. It makes a lot more sense, but it could easily just be the both of them. L/N wouldn't miss a chance to attack Muggleborns, especially with his parentage."

"You defiantly think it is Potter or L/N, then, Ernie?" said a girl with pigtails anxiously.

"Hannah," said the stout boy solemnly, "he's a Parselmouth. Everyone knows that's the mark of a dark wizard. Have you ever heard of a decent one who could talk to snakes? They called Slytherin himself Serpent-toungue."

There was some murmuring at this, and Ernie went on, "Remember what was written on the wall? Enemies of the Heir beware. Potter and L/N  had some sort run-in with Filch. Next thing we know, Filch's cat is attacked, and did you hear? Apparently L/N's cat is always stalking Filch's one, almost as if it's hunting it, that's not normal behaviour amongst cats now is it? That first-year, Creevey, was annoying Potter at the Quidditch match, taking pictures of him while he was lying in the mud. Next thing we know, Creevey's been attacked."

"Harry's always seemed so nice though. I get why you'd suspect L/N, he's like the creepiest guy ever, but Harry? He can't be all bad can he? After all, he made You-know-who disappear." said Hannah

"Doesn't the fact that he's actually friends with that bastard seem suspicious? Why else would Potter befriend L/N? What do they have alike? Potter's always acted like a decent bloke, but L/N's always cold and blunt with people. And people are even saying that Potter only survived the attack from You-know-who due to dark magic."

Y/N glanced at Harry, who looked white and was shaking with rage and fear. The poor boy was already terrified at the thought of actually being the Heir of Slytherin, and these Hufflepuffs had the backbone to make his fears worse by chatting shit about him? Not if Y/N had anything to say about it. He knew exactly what had to be done.

Harry finally seemed to have enough, because he cleared his throught loudly. Every one of the Hufflepuffs looked as though they had been petrified by the sight of Harry and Y/N, and the colour was draining from Ernie's face.

"Hello," said Harry. "I'm looking for Justin Finch-Fletchley."

The Hufflepuffs looked as though their worst fears had been confirmed.