Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Percys POV

                To say the journey to the Underworld was awkward would be an understatement; just imagine travelling with an old foe you had attempted to kill. When we finally neared the Doors of Orpheus I attempted to make small talk like the little socialite I am. “So Kronos, how does it feel to be bodiless?” I asked. Kronos sighed in my mind.” Do you actually believe I’m going to answer that?” “Well what else was I supposed to ask? How are the kids?” I replied sarcastically. Kronos sighed once more. “Focus” He commanded. For some reason, I instantly shut up. Kronos had a… weird effect on me I guess. “I hope it’s not going to be this way later” I grumbled in my mind. Surprisingly, Kronos didn’t respond.” I’m busy thinking of a plan of entrance” Kronos hissed. I shrugged and started walking through the doors. This surprised Kronos, who had expected we sneak in. But I mean, why make things more troublesome then they have to be?

                As soon as we passed through the gates I feel that familiar cold chill pass through my body; it was the feeling I have always had around Nico. We passed several stray spirits who seemed to be lost. They attempted to pull at my clothes and speak, but the only sound they could produce was chattering. Frowning slightly, the spirits continued their way; which happened to be towards the Doors of Orpheus. “They will become the spirits you call “ghosts” Kronos answered the question I was going to ask in my head. “But I thought nothing besides Demi Gods and Gods could leave the Underworld “” That’s what the Gods wish you to believe” Kronos scoffed in my head.  Deeming this an acceptable answer, I continued my path.

                We soon reached within  100 feet of the security gates into the four main parts of the Underworld; The Fields of Punishment, Elysium, The Isles of the Blest, and the Plain of Asphodel. I sighed, remember the talk with Annabeth I had about how when one of us makes it to Elysium, we would wait for-“Focus Kronos commanded. Even though he used that word A LOT it still managed to silence me (against my will, I might add) and wake me up as effectively as jumping in a salt water lake. “Over there” “Great description” I muttered to myself, scrutinizing the area. I jumped with a start when I finally found the Styx.

                If it was possible, there seemed to be MORE litter of people’s dreams in the water. Clogged with past memories and unfulfilled dreams, gray as the Grey Sisters taxi cab, and as un appealing as going to prom with a Fury; the River Styx seemed to be about the same as when I last came here, those (what feels like) many years ago. I slowly edged towards the water. I wanted to get there before my courage ran out entirely.

                “Percy!” I heard a frantic voice shout. I jolted away from the water and faced who had called my name. It was Nico. “Percy, what are you doing here?” Nico said, seeming to attempt a smile to mask the troubled look on his face. I breathed a sigh of relief since it was just Nico. You see, Nico actually never ignored or forgot about me. He was just always in the Underworld; seems he feels as unwelcome on the surface as I. “Oh no.. Reason” I mentally face palmed. Stupid! “Once a seaweed brain, always a seaweed brain” I mocked myself bitterly in my head.

 “So man, how have you been?” I redirected the conversation casually. “Pretty good” Nico’s face brightened. “I met this girl in Elysium…” “Kill him!” Kronos hissed in my mind with such viciousness it made my head sear with pain. “He’s my friend” I argued silently. “Do not disobey orders!” Kronos commanded; putting every ounce of power into his mental words. My hand inched towards my pen-sword.  “Percy is everything okay?” Nico asked, eyes glued to my hand gripping Riptide the pen tightly. “Yeah man, everything’s hunky dory” I gritted my teeth. “Kill him” Kronos urged. “I. Will. NOT!” I mentally shoved him away. Nico started to look really concerned. “Percy?” He said hesitantly. I squeezed my eyes. “Nico, I’m sorry. I can’t right now” I managed to grunt out. Nico’s face faltered. “Wha?-“ “Please go!” I begged, knowing I couldn’t not succumb to Kronos will much longer. When I heard a whoosh and flutter of an aviator jacket, I knew he was gone. I blew a sigh of relief.      

                “Enough distractions.” Kronos urged. I walked towards the edge of the river. “Huh” I thought. Achilles hasn’t given me the usual warning. “Because he’s already given you it” Kronos whispered with… Excitement? I didn’t know the Lord of Time actually got excited. “Just go into the damn river Jackson” Kronos grumbled. I took a deep breath and plunged, cannonball style, into the river of lost dreams.