The Forgotten Hero: A Percy Jackson Fiction

CHAPTER ONE

Percy’s POV

                I watched as she laughed, rolling her eyes at the son of Apollo. Her beautiful gray eyes glittering an- “Stop” I mentally commanded myself.  “I cannot afford to think of…her.”   

                The “her” was Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena. With her shiny blond hair, fierce gray eyes, and Californian tan; she was the girl of my dreams. His best friend, his Wise Girl. “Hey Annabeth” I stuttered out, trying not to appear cowardly. Annabeth quickly scrutinized me, a look of confusion clouding her face that I didn’t completely understand. Our eyes locked for a moment then she turned back to the cursed son of Apollo; Alton.

                A year ago, my life began to take a turn for the worst. My friends slowly “Drifted away” and I had only one word to describe the feeling I felt; Abandonment. First went Thalia, then Grover, then even Rachel left. Poseidon never responded to my prayers and my mom and Paul moved to Mongolia for a research project 9 months ago. I haven’t heard from them since. The only person I had left that lived in this side of the globe was Annabeth. Sweet Annabeth. I thought she would never abandon me, but like the others, she “Drifted” away from me.

                “More like ripped away from me” I scoffed in my head, glaring once more at the seemingly happy couple. You see, as soon as everyone forgot the “Hero of Olympus” Annabeth seemed to forget too. She seemed distracted, staring into space while I was talking to her. Eventually, she refused to talk to me altogether and started spending time with that wretched Alton. We never “officially” broke up. But it seemed like Annabeth had decided for both of us.

                I laughed dryly, observing the happy campers running to their cabins before dinner. What once was the happiest place on Earth turned into a total nightmare. You may ask, “then why do you stay?” Well the truth is; I have nowhere else to go.

FLASHBACK: AUGUST 18TH, 1 YEAR AGO    (NO ONES POV)

                “Listen up! In honor of our Hero of Olympus, Percy Jackson” Chiron flashed him a smile. Cheers erupted throughout all the half-bloods. Even the Ares cabin gave a respectful grunt. Percy attempted to cover his blushing by pretending to check his armor straps, while a certain blond haired beauty nudged his side. “Oh don’t pretend you don’t like it” She teased, a smile lighting up her shining gray eyes. Percy grinned. “Quiet!” Chiron silenced the campers with a smile. “In honor of The Son of Poseidon’s birthday, it was decided we will have an honorary game of Capture the Flag. All rules apply; No killing, maiming-“ “Awe’ Clarisse scowled. “I was gonna give the little punk his birthday punches!” “And I will act as battle field medic. You have 5 minutes to set up strategy and positions. The game will start when the horn sounds. Good luck” Chiron finished with a flourish.

Excited chatter erupted among the campers as they headed to their sides. “Athena team, to me!” Annabeth instructed, waving over her allies who included the Hermes cabin, Poseidon (duh), Athena, and Aphrodite.  “Hermes cabin, protect the flag. Let no one get within 10 feet” “And If they do, we’ll skewer them” The Stoll brother grinned. “No maiming” Annabeth called but the Hermes cabin had already left. " Athena, diversion to the right. Aphrodite, persuade” *cough* “Any other teams let us across their borders” All cabins except one nodded and took their positions, Except for one.

“And what is your plan for me, Wise Girl” Percy grinned. Annabeth rolled her eyes “Well, Seaweed Brain, What do you think? Go for the flag of course”  “Don’t I get a kiss for luck?” Percy smiled. “Come back with the flag and well see” Annabeth smiled.  “HONK!!” The sound of a horn echoed through the trees. “Wait! Remember to stick to the-“Annabeth called to Percy, trying to elaborate on her plan. But Percy was already gone.

                Percy darted through the forest, fast as lightning (hehe, ironic. Zeus, bro of Poseidon, god of lightning. Get it?) Dodging tree stumps and campers who have already fallen, as he glanced at the unconcious campers he thought to himself "Guess the no maiming rule isn't working too well" Just as the thought flew across his head he reached his target; the flag. He was surprised to find they had only appointed the newest camper, a son of Isis, to guard the flag. Percy had the urge to roll his eyes. “This will be too easy” He thought to himself. He quickly snuck up behind the boy and reached for the flag when he heard a smooth voice. “Uh, uh, uh” Percy swiveled to find a son of Apollo, pointing his sword at Percy’s throat. “Rule 1: Never underestimate your opponents” The boy, Percy believed his name was Alton, smirked. Percy swiveled and kicked the boy in the back, sending him face planting in the dirt. “Maybe you should follow your own advice” Percy withdrew his sword from Alton and reached for the flag.

 Gripping it tightly in his hand, Percy quickly withdrew his sword from Alton’s neck and clutched the flag instead. The Isis boy long gone, no other opponents challenged him for the flag. Percy began to run when he heard a horrible howl. He turned to see Alton cowering in the wake of a huge hell hound; definitely not Mrs O’Leary. “Help!” Alton cried, cowering behind a rock. Percy rolled his eyes and made quick work of the hellhound. As the spoil of war appeared, a huge dog bone, Alton pushed Percy away and quickly gripped the bone. Campers filed  in. “I have slain it!” Alton announces triumohantly, as if he had not spent the last 5 minutes cowering like a baby satyr. Percy fumed but did not oppose him; It wasn’t worth it. “Some hero you have here” Alton pointed at Percy. “Hid under a rock, he did” Some new campers roared with laughter, but the old ones knew better.

Similar events happened like this; the mighty Alton slayed a Sphinx, a Venti, even defended against a minor attack from a rogue group of giants. Slowly Alton gained the title of Camp Hero, and Percy was left in the dust.

FLASHBACK END

______________________________________________________________________

Authors Note:

And that was the first chapter :) Sorry if it was boring, but I needed to explain before anything happens.

Please tell me if you liked it, what I can improve or anything.

Leave a comment, review, ect..

I will try to update once every couple of days or when I get a stroke of writerness lol.

Bye!