Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Annabeth’s POV

                As soon as Kronos drew Backbiter I knew we were dead meat. I squeezed my eyes shut when Kronos’s voice cut through the air. “Do not fear, daughter of Athena. I will not harm you yet. I must give you and your comrade’s time to warn your puny camp!” With those last parting words, I felt Kronos and Rhea leave the clearing.

                As soon as they left; I fell to the ground. I couldn’t believe it had actually happened… Percy was Kronos, Kronos was Percy. Out of all the people to become Kronos’s new host, I never imagined Percy would.

Sweet, innocent Percy.

                “It’s all your fault, you know” A voice said in my head. I recoiled; thinking it was Rhea. But this voice was too warm; and also too bland. “He will never forgive you. But maybe you have a chance to save him” “How?” I mentally snorted. “Ask the sea god for the charm. He will know what you mean”  The charm? What could that mean?

                I stood up; glancing over at the others. Chiron gave me a sad, small smile and Thalia gave me a glare. Grover had already disappeared- probably to warn his girlfriend- and Nico was, as always, in the shadows. “Lord Poseidon” I called. I saw the water shift as Poseidon stirred underneath it. As soon as Per- Kronos had gotten Backbiter from the flames; Poseidon had gone back to the sea. Probably for comfort, like Percy used to do.

                “Yes, daughter of Athena?” Poseidon appeared before me, a sad smile also overtaking his face. “Do you have the charm?” I asked bluntly. Poseidon’s face didn’t give any of his emotions away; much like the sea itself. “Yes I do” Poseidon admitted quietly. My spirits instantly lifted. “Look I know I’m the last person that should ask for anything from you, but-“

 “You need it for my son? Do not despair Annabeth. I do not hate you for what you did. You alone did not cause Percy’s abandonment; I also did. I only ask you one request if I give this to you” “Yes?” I asked hesitantly; Gods requests usually turn out badly. “I wish for you to never think of my son romantically again” Poseidon told her. “If we are able to separate Kronos from him and save him, I wish that you no longer see him romantically” I nearly choked. “Yes, Lord Poseidon. I agree to those terms.” I stuttered out. I knew this would be the only way to save him and Olympus; anything for family.

Poseidon lifted an arm and a small necklace was lifted out of the water. It had a sparkling blue charm and a silver chain. He grasped it firmly in his hand and set it gently in my outstretched palm. “Wear this charm while you slumber” Poseidon clarified. “Thank you” I forced out a smile. He dissolved into a sea breeze; leaving me to ponder.

What does this charm actually do?

Percy’s POV

                After the capture the flag game we headed straight to the campfire.  Laughing and chattering; nothing seemed out of the ordinary. At least; what would have been ordinary a year ago. “Hey Annabeth, how old are we?” I once again attempted to get her to tell me the truth. She merely laughed and said. “Wow you must have hit your head pretty hard, Seaweed Brain.  Were both 17”

Ok. Well those scratches out any chance of me having somehow returned to the past. What other possibilities could it- “Why don’t you just enjoy yourself?” A voice inside my head asked. It wasn’t Kronos.. It was something different. “I believe the word you’re looking for is “your conscience” “That’s two words” I replied out loud. Annabeth looked over at me; a confused but bemused expression across her face.

“C’mon! Why aren’t you having fun?” She asked. I stared at her blankly; causing her to sigh. “Oh come on” And right then she dragged me away from the campfire; no campers even noticing we were gone. “What’s up?” Annabeth asked. “Noth-“ I began but she shook her head vigorously. “I know something’s up, now spill” Annabeth demands. I sigh.

“Well it seems like I’m from an alternate universe where you cheated on me and-“ I blurted. Annabeth merely smiled. She leaned in close. “You should know I would never, ever cheat on you” She began to kiss me when a voice called out “Percy!!”

I turned away from Annabeth and guess who was facing me and had just called my name?

Annabeth

Annabeth’s POV

                I did as Poseidon instructed and went in cabin; shutting all the blinds and turning off all the lights. I was soon bathed in darkness and whispered “Percy. For your sake I  hope this works” I quickly fell asleep.

                It seemed as soon as my eyes shut; I landed in the middle of camp. A campfire was going on, much like tonight; except no campers seemed to pay notice that I had just basically appeared out of nowhere. I quickly went up and tapped Chiron on the shoulder. “Hey Chiron. Do you know where Percy is?” I was expecting a troubled look and a “Don’t- you- remember- Percy- is- Kronos” speech. But instead I got a nod.  

                “Yes. He should be in his cabin. But I thought he was with you?” Chiron frowned.  I laughed unconvincingly. “Silly me. I’ll be right back” Heading towards the cabins of the Big Three; I stopped to glance briefly in the Apollo cabin; mostly out of habit. I saw Alton sitting alone on a lower bunk. He was staring up at the ceiling; running his knife across the woody planks of the bunk. I was tempted to go in and say hello, but I remembered; I’m on a mission.

                I finally arrived at the Poseidon cabin. Taking a deep breath, I opened the door and stepped inside. Peering around, I finally came onto the sight of a young couple making out. “Percy?!” I shouted. He quickly unglued himself from the girl he was kissing. Which was…. Me?

                “Annabeth?” He glanced back and forth between the two Annabeth’s in the room.  “Uhhhh” Percy murmured. The other Annabeth (lets call her OA) quickly sat up. “How is this possible?” OA muttered. Then her face cleared up as something dawned on her. “Of course” She cried. Jumping up, she grasped my hand. “Daedalus number 39” She clarified. It dawned on me as well. The charm Poseidon gave me was the-

                “Can you explain what’s going on please?” Percy grumbled; obviously miffed that he doesn’t have a clue to what’s going on. “Poseidon must have given me a dream charm” I  said. “He wanted me to enter your subconscious and save you” “I knew it wasn’t all fake!” He muttered. Jumping up, Percy pointed at me and OA.

 “You really did cheat on me!” He cried. “Correction; she did. I’m not that stupid” OA snorted. “Hey” I growled. “Watch it” “Your beginning to sound like Clarisse” OA smirked. I was so tempted to lunge for her throat when Percy intervened. “Hey. So what your saying is.. I’m in my subconscious now?” “Yes” OA and I answered at the same time. “Kronos must have kept you here in order to keep you happy so you wouldn’t have to fight him mentally” I realized.

“And sadly, since that plan didn’t work. We will have to resort to other means” OA reasoned. Percy and I were about to question what she meant when OA lunged.

Boy; didn’t I choose a good time to wake up?