Chapter Four

Demi

A nervous smile played at the corners of my lips as I continued to check him out. Here I am, dirt and sweat covering my face as I wore dirty and smelly clothes while he stood tall and crisp. I cursed under my breath.

"Hey Nick. How did you know I was back here?" I question.

I wiped my sweaty hands against my shorts as Nick leaned against a wooden pole. He chuckled and fold his arms across his chest while crossing his right leg over the other, pointing the tip of his cowboy boots into the dirt red covered ground.

"The news is all around town-" I shook my head and wiped a few sweaty strands of blonde hair from my face. "No, I mean in the barn"

Nick mouthed 'Oh' and nod his head looking around the barn. Looking past me at the pile of neat boxes.

"Called out through the house. Anyway, what brings you back to Texas? California too much for you?" He asked smartly.

I rolled my eyes at him, folding my own arms over my chest. "No, I have to handle some property issues,"

Nick kissed his teeth and smirked. "Of course, business bought you back. Forgot you're too high and mighty for us folks now that you got that big job of yours," Nick pushed off the pole and walked towards me, his eyes burning into mine. "What? You thinking 'bout selling your family land?"

Things never really change. He was still arrogant and persistent. I wonder if he is still possessive. But it troubled me how well he still knew my intentions towards anything before I really knew myself.

"Why are you here? Don't'chu gotta town to keep under control?" Raising my eyebrow at him I tried flipping the situation around.

Nick stood in front of me now. His spicy cologne slapping me in the face as he went unfazed at my knowing about his career. His blue shirt snugging his body more now that I'm up close to him. I could see the outline of his hard contoured chest well. Swallowing hard I took a step back from him, trying to clear my head.

"That reminds me, we've gotten a few calls about burglary. Make sure you lock up good at night and you should have someone stay with you while you figure out if you're selling the land or not,"

Rolling my eyes once again at him, I pursed my lips together. "That's all

you came out here for?" With an eyebrow raised I walked around him.

His scent was smothering me. He chuckled and wiped his nose quickly.

"And to make sure it was really you,"

Something flickered in his hard brown eyes that made my cheeks warm. It overwhelmed me with small ounces of guilt.

"Well its me, Nick, you can leave now,"

He stared at me a while longer then laughed softly to himself. His broad

shoulders moving along with every sound he made.

"Dem Dem, 'member what happen in this very barn? Hum?"

His left eyebrow was cocked as he walked over to a small wooden ladder that was sitting under an opening. His hands brushing over the heart craving that held our initials and "4 Ever" inside.

"Who knew forever don't exist?"

I watched as his brown eyes dropped from mine and into the opening that lead to the second level of the barn. My cheeks warming up again as he

brought up our first time together.

It was senior skip day and instead of driving to the town over to go to the mall like the rest of the class did, we stayed behind. My dad was working in town that day and mom was doing volunteer work at the primary school with Maddie. We thought we was so in love and we just knew that we would be together forever.

I was eighteen and Nick treated me like I was his queen. We couldn't be

more in love with one another, but I always felt like it was a man and girl relationship. So that day Nick showed me how much of a man he really was as I became a woman. His woman.

Pinching the bridge of my nose I exhaled loudly.

"It's called the past Nick, let it go. It was childish,"

Shocked at my words Nick chuckled, again. Limply he turned around and stared at me.

"I was thirteen when I stopped playing with childish things Demi,"

"It doesn't have to even go there, Nick,"

Nodding his head he licked his lips. Taking his foot off the ladder he

walked over to me.

"You weren't the only one hurting that year, Demi,"

We stared at one another, both seeing the pain we inflicted on each other.

"Have a good day," Nick began to walk out of the barn. "Remember to lock your doors. Be safe," his voice was cold.

After hearing him leave my house I broke.

___________________________________________

comment & vote yall!