Chapter Thirteen

Nick

Shortly after my confessional conversation with Demi, I arrived back at the station and I was quickly informed of another break-in down by Madison only this time, someone was hurt. Stepping onto the gravel of their driveway a short haired girl was sitting on the steps of their porch. Tears stained her cheek while one of my men had his pad and pencil out.

"What do we have, Carson?" I asked.

The uniformed officer took a few steps my way. My eyes scanned the area again before trying to give Officer Carson my undivided attention because of lately my mind has been scattered everywhere. If I'm not worried about the safety of my town I'm somewhere climbing that brick wall Demi's built around herself. Me being me I've got to break it down and undiscover the ugly truth behind it. Many would say I'm over my head for this girl, but I just want answers and I'll be done with her. She could leave and never come back after she's done giving me long awaited replies of the past. Closure, which may not be exactly the kind she's expecting.

See! There I go again. C'mon man, get it together! You're on duty for christ sake! Pinching the bridge of my nose I paid full attention to Carson's words and the passed down description of our thief. At least that's a good start. Nobody was seriously injured and they got visual on the culprit. Bad thing is, he is a she and has now thrown us all off our game. We can for sure cross Horan off our list of suspects. Now we're back at the beginning and just thinking about this and how we have to re trace all our steps over again is making my throat dry and itching for a beer. Nah, make that a shot.

"Let's hurry and wrap this up for today. She's obviously not afraid to strike again in broad day light, but now that someone has seen her face we can get this down to the station and put her to a name. I want wanted posters all over town by noon tomorrow, I'm not risking someone getting hurt again or worse."

"We're gonna catch this girl before she hits again. I have a feeling where she's headed." I inform him.

"Sure thing, Sheriff." Carson replied respectfully. "Anything else?"

Setting my eyes west of the Madison resident the long dirt road lead nowhere, but to a certain home I know of so well.

"I want a car here and if I'm thinking right, I'll be down the road."

________________

Demi

It's only a little after five thirty and my lawyer was just now leaving my house. Papers were beginning to be typed up as my decision to sale was nearing. Still I needed someone's solid insight on my pending conflict. Things aren't really going as planned for me.

Well, it's quite funny in the long run though. I thought how easy it would be to swoop into town, sign a few papers to release the house over to the banks, and fly out with out a peep. Man, how this plan of mine back fired. My second day here and not only did old friends find their way back into my life, but drama and karma did also. Not only that, but my hand hasn't even touched a contract of some sort.

A soft and bitter chuckle releases from me as I locked the front door. Maybe a long bubble bathe and sleep can end my hectic day on a few good notes at least. Because of the day I've had, maybe a cigarette and a glass of wine too. Honesty, I need everything that helps a person relax and not think about as many of the life complications I'm currently enduring. With the lawyer stopping by, it helped me not think about Nick for a few hours.

My cellphone that I had to go pick up today from Pauls began to ring, indicating Zac's ringtone. Quickly, I grabbed my phone and answered his call. Literally going days without any form of contact with my boyfriend, this felt like heaven hearing his voice.