Chapter 32 (Shaliene's P.O.V.)

I had been watching Ben throughout his 'mission', and when I heard the man say Ben's name, I was just as surprised as he was.

"Come on Shay." he said while he came towards the end of the aisle where I was waiting, and grabbed my hand, completely ignoring the mysterious older man who just stood there dumb-founded as Ben stormed back to me.

As he hastened toward the door I tried to keep up.

"Ben, who was that?" I asked as he opened the car door for me, assisted me in, then went around to the other side.

"Ben?" I asked again, as he sat motionless in his seat. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Do you really want to know?" He responded abruptly.

"Yes, but you don't have to tell me if you don't want to." I replied, not wanting to pressure him into it.

"Are you hungry?" He asked, glancing at the clock, 10:42pm.

"A bit, I guess." I said, realizing we had both forgotten dinner.

"I have the perfect thing." he said with a weak smile, starting the car and leaving me with my curiosity for the ride.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

"Why are we at your parent's house?" I asked as we pulled up the drive.

"You'll see." Ben said, coming around and opening my door.

"But won't we wake your parents, and how are we going to get in?" I asked.

"Don't worry their bedroom is on the other side of the house, completely sound-proof. And I have a key, they always try to get me to stay out here." He replied, as we walked toward the side door.

"Okay." I said, following along.

"You remember Hannah, our housekeeper, right?" Ben asked as he unlocked the door.

"Of course." I whispered, as he opened the door. "She's super sweet."

"Well she makes my favorite desserts, these sticky, gooey, delicious, almond cinnamon rolls." Benjamin said, with a longing in his voice as he grabbed my hand and began leading me through the darkened house. This situation would normally make me anxious and frightened, but for some odd reason I felt completely safe with Ben. It could've been the lack of sleep last night, the chaotic events of the day, or even my overly romantic imagination, but whatever the case, I knew I had nothing to fear.

"Shay," Ben said as we reached the kitchen, "how does a plate full of those rolls, and some hot tea sound?"

"Absolutely wonderful." I said with a relieved sigh, nothing sounded better.

"Perfect." He replied as he began gathering up our snack. Then, vibrating in my purse, my phone began alerting me to a call.

"Sorry, its my mom." I told Ben, when I saw the name on my screen. "I have to take this real quick."

"No problem, I'll finish this." He replied with a grin, as I answered my phone.

"Yes?" I asked into my phone.

"Shay? Are you alright?" was my mother's reply.

"Yes mom, I'm fine. Sorry, we seem to have lost track of time."

"Yes we've noticed. Honey, I know you're trying to spend time with Benny, but this is hardly..."

"Mom, we are just friends. Seriously, we've only known each other for like a week. We are just trying to make up for "lost time" since we are getting MARRIED in a few months. I promise, nothing will happen."

"I know darling, but..."

"Mom, I trusted you with this entire arrangement. That is practically my entire future. I trusted you with it all, so can't you please trust me now. I know right from wrong, and I know how to take care of myself. So can you trust me enough to let me decided what I do?" I said, feeling my frustrations of the past few years disappear.

"Of course darling...I trust you. Have fun...but not too much fun. I love you."

"I love you too. Bye."

"Bye."

"Everything alright?" Ben asked with concern, as I stowed my phone.

"Everything's great." I said.