Chapter 29 (third-person P.O.V.)

As Vivienne Lewis was asking the hostess at Zesi where the Smiths were seated, the questions began,

"Who are the Smiths? Are they from our church?" asked Theresa.

"Why are we eating with them? Is it a special occasion?" asked Laura.

"I love Zesi! Can I have a soda?" asked Annabelle, innocently batting her eyes.

"We will answer all y'all's questions once we sit down, so please just stop asking and listen for the answer." replied Mrs.Lewis in a clam voice as they all followed the hostess to the round table in the back, where the Smiths were seated.

"Ah, good. Y'all made it." said Mrs.Smith.

"Yes, sorry for the delay. With a large family it sometimes takes longer to load everyone up." apologized Vivienne in a joking voice.

"No problem. We haven't been here long, in fact, we just arrived, ourselves." said Mr.Smith.

"Hi Shay." Ben said in a warm voice, as he pulled out the chair next to him for her to sit in.

"Hi Ben." She replied as she seated herself in the extended chair, and was followed by her siblings, all with questioning looks on their faces. Laura was next to Shaliene, Theresa next to Laura, Annabelle next to Theresa, and their parents next to her. Grandma walked in at that moment, greeted everyone, and sat between her daughter and Mrs.Smith (see if you can figure that out ;).

"Alright. Now to answer all questions. Yes, Annabelle, you may have a soda." Vivienne said, receiving laughs from the older audience, cheers from Annabelle, and blank faces from the rest, who were all anxious to get the truth in the open.

"Yes. Well on a more serious note...we are all here today because of something that occurred nearly 70 years ago..." and Vivienne when on explaining to everyone else, what she explained to Ben and Shay less than than three days ago. After she finished she was met by shocked faces on her three younger children, a look of remembrance on her mother's face, a look of understanding on the bride and groom to-be, and a look of excitement on the faces of her soon to be in-laws (Suzie and Tom).

"Who's ready for some food?" asked Mr.Lewis trying to distract everyone.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

After everyone got their drinks and ordered, the awkward silence was broken by Laura,

"So, Shaliene, when's the wedding?" she asked.

"March 25th, of next year." replied Shay looking toward Ben.

"Yeah, and we'll be having it outdoors, weather permitting." Ben added, which gained him a glare from Laura, to whom he turned and looked at with a clueless expression.

"Oh, and Laura," Shay said, turning toward her closest sister, "will you be my bridesmaid?"

"I will, on one condition." Laura said, turning towards Ben. "Will you promise me you'll treat my sister right?"

"Of course. Shay is my best friend, and I promise you I'll treat her as good as I possibly can." Ben replied with his right hand raised.

"Good, I'm not sure how you can really be "best friends" after only a few days, but I'll hold you to that promise." Laura said to Ben, then turned to Shay, demeanor completely changed from protective sister, to excited teenage girl, "Oh my gosh, this is so exciting. You're getting married!"

"Yes, I am. Oh and Annabelle, will you be my flower girl?" Shay asked.

"Do I get a new dress?" Annabelle asked in an anticipatory look.

"Yes." Shaliene said.

"Then 'absotutely'!" Annabelle replied with a toothy grin.

"And Theresa," Ben said, entering the conversation, "I've heard, from a reliable source, that you love music. So would you like to be our DJ?"

"Yeah! Oh that will be so much fun, this is awesome. Thanks Benjamin." Theresa exclaimed, now lost in her thoughts of what she would play.

"Thanks Ben." Shay whispered, as the table conversation turned more toward holiday shopping. "Theresa really loves the idea of that. Thank you for...well being amazing, remembering something like that and getting her involved."

"It's no problem. And at least I have the approval of one sister." he said in a joking tone.

"Laura really does like you, it's just she takes a little longer to warm up to people." Shay said with a face full of compassion.

"Yeah, I just hope she knows I'll do right by you." Ben replied with a grin.

"Well I know that, and that's all that matters. Right? BFF?" Shay said with a wink.

"Definitely."