Chapter 8 (third-person P.O.V.)

As they reached the door to the back room Shaliene reached down and grabbed Benjamin's hand, stopping forward progression, causing him to turn and face her.

"You know something's up, don't you?" Shaliene asked Ben.

"Yeah. But whatever it is, I'm right there with you. In just this short time, you've become the closest thing to a best friend I've ever had." Ben replied with a goofy grin.

"Thanks. And you've become the big brother I never had." She replied with a smile on her face, and a wink in her eye. "Let's go."

Shaliene released his hand and opened the door. There were their parents, seated at a circular table, leaving two spaces for them next to each other. Benjamin sat down first, next to his mother, and Shaliene sat down in between him and her own mother.

"So, I'm sure y'all have become a little curious as to what was going on. I promise we will tell you both everything, but first let's order some food." said Mrs. Lewis.

Shaliene picked up her menu, although she knew exactly what she would get.

As the waitress came and began to take orders from the parents, Benjamin looked over and asked, "What's good?"

"Well, Tony's is an Italian restaurant. So there's pasta, pizza, calzones, and soups and salads..." Shay said.

"What are you getting?" He asked.

"Their Italian Mac-n-cheese. It's the best. I always get it, it has four kinds of cheeses, and three different meats. It is basically heaven in a bowl." she replied as the waiter made her was to Ben.

"What would you like sir?" asked Beth, the waitress.

"We'll take two Italian Mac-n-cheeses." Ben ordered.

"Great choice. I see Shaliene has influenced your decision. I swear she could convince a starving man to give his last piece of bread up. But of course sweet Shaliene wouldn't ever do such a thing." Beth said with a smile, as she moved on to take Mrs.Lewis' order.

"She seems nice." Ben stated.

"That's Mrs.Beth, she attends church with us. She has the sweetest little boy, Henry. I've babysat him since he was eight months old, and he's almost three now." Shaliene said with a sigh. "She's like a big sister to me."

"So you like kids?" He asked.

"Yes. I babysit all the time, and feel almost like their my own, at least for a few hours." Shay replied with a chuckle.

"Benjamin, Shaliene. Could we have your attention for a moment please." Vivienne said after Beth had left to place their orders.

Both Ben and Shay turned and faced Mrs. Lewis.

"Well, I don't know how to say this other than... You're getting married."