Chapter 53

Juliet

"Hello?" I say, opening the door to Lisa's house.

"My niece is home!" Lisa cheers, running up to me and suffocating me in a hug. "I missed having you here."

"I missed staying here. Things have been crazy." She smiles at me and then looks at Maris.

"Hey Maris." Lisa says, hugging her.

"Hey Ms. Summers." When they release, Lisa gives me the "we need to talk" look.

"Mar, can you take our stuff to my room? I need to talk to Lisa for a second."

"Sure thing." She says, taking my bag and walking to my room. I sit on the couch with Lisa and wait for her to start talking.

"How are you holding up?" She asks, placing her hand on my thigh.

"I'm trying not to think about it."

"I know it's hard."

"Did you see him? I mean... you know." She gives me a sad look and then nods. I look away from her and clear my throat, holding back tears.

"I'm so sorry, Juliet."

"Me too." I whisper, looking at her with water in my eyes. Before she can react I throw my arms around her and hug her tightly, needing a form of comfort. "I want to go visit his grave." Lisa pulls away from me and furrows her eyebrows.

"Juliet,"

"I know it's not good for me but I need to do this."

"Is that why you came back?"

"That's one of the reasons, yes. Do you know where he's buried?"

"Sweetheart, you don't have to do this."

"Yes I do. I need to have closure."

"But,"

"If you won't tell me I'll find out for myself."

"You don't understand."

"What, am I not allowed to visit his grave or something?"

"No, but,"

"Just forget it. I'll find out myself." I say, getting up and walking out the door. I close the door behind me and walk down the driveway, hearing the clacking of my heels as I do. I stop and look down at my knee high white heels and purple sweater dress that ends mid thigh. If I walk down the street, people are obviously going to be able to tell that I'm who I am.

When I reach the sidewalk I take my phone out to look up taxi services when I hear something peculiar. My name. My old name.

"Jay?" I look to my left and see a girl with brown hair and brown eyes walking towards me. She looks like she's about thirteen and has a very familiar face.

"Antonia?" I see her smile as she runs over to me and hugs me.

This is so awkward.

I'm the person that got her big brother killed.

Why is she hugging me?

Maybe she doesn't know.

"I'm sorry, I meant Juliet. Force of habit." She lets go of me and shows me a big smile.

"No big. How old are you now?"

"Twelve. I'll be thirteen in a few months."

"Whoa, how does it feel to almost be a teenager?"

"Fantastic. I can't wait to be able to do things by myself. My mom says I'm still really young to do things without her or Dad and that I don't understand much of the things that have been going on, but I do."