Chapter 13

Ashton

When I get home, I still have an hour before my fight starts. I start to make something to eat when my little sister, Antonia, comes in the kitchen.

"Hey Ash!" She says, holding onto her stuffed animal horse.

"Hi there, sleepy head." I reply, observing her messy hair and pajamas.

"What are you making?"

"Mac & Cheese. And I may have enough for two if you'd like to join me." I wink at her and she giggles, sitting down. "Don't you think you are getting a little too old for footy pajamas, Ant?"

"I'm only seven. Don't you think you're getting a little too old to be annoying?" She says. I make a groaning sound and put a hand over my heart, falling to my knees, pretending that she wounded me. She laughs and runs to me, jumping on top of me.

"What kind of person kicks a man when he's down?" I say.

"Me!" She replies, smiling. She hops off of my back and sits back at the kitchen table. As I cook, I feel the eyes of a seven year old staring into my back. "Where were you all day?"

"I had to do something. Where were you all day?"

"In my room. Mommy just left and Daddy just came home. He's asleep."

"Of course he is." I mumble to myself.

After I make Antonia her dinner, I go into my room and get myself prepared for the fight. I throw a few punches in the air and crack my back, feeling sore. When I walk out of my room, I see my father staring at me.

"Where are you going?" He asks.

"Out." I say, walking past him and down the stairs. I get in my car and begin to drive down the street when I pass Jay's house.

I find myself thinking about her for a few seconds, but then stop, concentrating on winning the fight.

Jay

I look out my window, gazing at the stars when I see Ashton's car pass.

My Aunt is the biggest she-devil in the world! I mean, sure I'm trying to act like I hate everyone and everything, and I'm probably not succeeding, but Ashton is starting to grow on me.

He seems nice, even though I've only known him for a day. He was there when I needed him.

I put on my black hoodie and walk into the kitchen to ask Aunt Lisa if I can borrow her car to go to the Book store again. Taking the keys and walking to the car, I put the key in the ignition and try to hurry up and follow Ashton.

I don't know why I'm following him, but I am. I have this feeling of wanting to know where he is going.

I swear I'm not a stalker.

I finally catch up to him, making a few right and left turns, until we finally stop on a random street. I park a few cars behind him and see him run down the street. I follow suit, but try to stay low and out of sight.

I see him enter an alley way and sigh out of frustration.

What is it with all of these alleys?!

I make my way down the dark alley and see lights at the end. I stay close to the wall and turn my head slightly to see a large group of men in a circle, cheering and screaming. I move to go see what the fuss is about when I see someone go flying into the wall of the empty lot.

This has to be a fighting ring. An empty lot behind old stores. This is where he fights.

I see two people in a little huddle talking, one rubbing the others shoulders. The rest of the men are talking, probably placing bets. Finally, the announcer makes his way to the circle.