Chapter 9

At this point in the novel, I am going to start doing POVs. I hope you are enjoying my novel so far!

Jay

The next morning I wake up to the smell of bacon and eggs. I get up from bed and look in the mirror at the new me.

I walk into the kitchen in sweat pants and a tank top to find enough food to feed a village.

"I thought you would be hungry." Lisa says. I giggle and sit at the table. My head is killing me and my leg hurts. There was glass lodged in it from when the windshield broke and pieces of glass flew in the backseat. When the car was flipping, the back door was forced open and I flew out. I wince at the pain and Lisa notices.

"Have you taken your pain medication today?"

"No, I just woke up." I snap back.

"Okay, geez, I was just trying to help."

"Sorry, I'm very tired."

"You should rest today. I was going to take you shopping, but it can wait. The doctor told me he was faxing over all of your information to my hospital. You are getting your stitches out of your leg next week."

"Excellent."

"I'm not sure if that was genuine or sarcastic."

"You don't need to be sure. Do you have any orange juice?" I ask, changing the subject. She brings me over the carton and sits next to me.

"School starts in two weeks. You're going to be a Senior at Fairebank High School. Are you excited to start fresh?"

You have no idea.

"Yeah, I guess." I say, eating a fork full of pancakes.

After breakfast I go to my room and watch Friends reruns. I take my two pain medications and sit back in bed.

I miss my Dad. I need him to help me and tell me how to get through this. I can't do this on my own.

One week later

Ashton

"You got this, Ash. He's weak. He looks tough on the outside, but this guy cracks. A few punches and he's out." Jim says as he rubs my shoulders before the fight.

"Nice pep talk." I say, jokingly. Just as I stand from my stool, the bell rings.

"Knock em' dead, bro." He says as I come closer to my opponent.

"Fighters! Take your positions." The announcer yells. I look around the abandoned back lot to see a crowd of people flooding in from the alley entrance.

"Ready!" I take my stance, ready for my opponent to make the first move. "Fight!"

The man lunges at me and I dodge him, causing him to run into the brick wall. Damn, weak and dumb. He gets up and makes a run for me. Once he gets in-front of me, I punch him square in the face, causing him to fall unconscious.

"Winner!" The announcer says, raising my right hand in the air.

I walk out of the lot and into the alley to walk on the sidewalk. That was an easy afternoon fight.

"Dude, hold your horses!" Jim says, chasing after me. "Where are you off to in such a rush?"

"The hospital. I need to bring my Mom her lunch before I start my second fight."

"She can't eat there?"

"Have you ever tasted hospital food?" I ask sarcastically.

"Point taken." He says, following me into the market. I buy my mom one of the already made subs, a bag of chips and ice tea. After I purchase everything, Jim and I get in my car that I parked down the street from the arena and drive to the hospital. My Mom is one of the head doctors.

Once Jim and I walk in, we take the elevator to the fourth floor and go to the front desk.

"Good afternoon, Mr. McAllister. Your mom is in with a patient right now, she should be out in a little while."

"Thanks Mary." I say, sitting in the waiting room with Jim. We look at the TV and try to interpret what the actors are saying on a Spanish Soap Opera.

Just as I'm about to start a conversation, my mom walks into the waiting room with Lisa Summers and a teenager girl who looks to be in pain.

"Hi, Ash!" She greets me. I walk over to her and give her a hug. I hand her her lunch and kiss her on the cheek. "You remember Lisa, don't you? She's one of the nurses on this floor."

"Yes, I do." I turn to Lisa. "Afternoon, Ms. Summers."

"Jenny, your son is so polite."

Little does she know that she's talking to a street fighter.

"Ashton, this is my..." We all look next to Lisa to where the girl was standing, but she isn't there. "I guess she went to the car."

"She's going to feel a little discomfort, just make sure she takes her medication." My mom says.

"I will. Thanks Jenny. See you tomorrow. Goodbye Ashton." I smile at her as she walks away.

"She's being forced to take care of her niece, Jay." My mom explains to me once Lisa is out of sight.

"Why is she being forced?" I ask out of curiosity.

"The poor girl has just about lost everything. Both of her parents, her friends, her old school, she didn't even know Lisa existed until last week. She's starting Senior year at your school next week, so do me a favor and go easy on her. I know you're not one to help the new girl, or anyone except myself or Jim for that matter."

"Yeah, whatever." I shrug.

"Thanks for lunch. How much do I owe you?"

"Nothing, it's on me." I say, backing towards the elevator. "I'll see you when you get home."