Chapter 50

Juliet

"I need you to tell me what you saw."

"I thought I was being examined." I reply.

"You are."

"No I'm not. I'm being interrogated by a detective in a hospital room."

"While the doctor looks for any injuries sustained, I'm going to be asking you some questions. Now, Ms. Summers, what did you see before the shots went off at the Moondance Arena?" The detective asks.

"I was talking to a fan and then heard something on an Officer's walkie talkie."

"What did you hear?"

"Mumbling at first and then someone saying that I had to leave."

"You, personally?"

"Yes."

"Then what happened?"

"Then I said goodbye to the fan and looked behind me to see Asht... Lieutenant McAllister running over to us. We were about to leave when the gunfire started." I open my mouth to continue when my doctor walks in.

"Evening, Ms. Summers. I'm just going to look at your head to see if you have any signs of concussion or injury." The doctor says.

"Can we continue this later, please?" I ask the detective as the doctor starts to move my hair.

"I'm sorry, but this needs to be completed now." He says.

"Fine."

"What happened after the shots were fired?"

"The Lieutenant pushed me down and then made me run with him away from the arena. He pulled me into an alley and put his vest on me. Then,"

"He placed his bulletproof vest on you?"

"Yes." I whisper, guilt flowing through my veins.

"That was gutsy." He mumbles, but I pretend not to hear him. "Continue." He speaks in a clear tone.

"We ran for a decent hour and then we were ambushed in the woods. I didn't see them because my back was turned, but, umm... h-he saw them."

"Then what happened?" I take a deep breath and look to the doctor, who is looking at my right arm for any injuries.

"I, um." I stutter. All of a sudden, I feel the room start to spin and my stomach ache. "I can't do this." I whisper.

"There's only a little more, Ms. Summers."

"Look, I know you need information but I can't do this right now."

"Ma'am,"

"Detective, it's time for you to go." The doctor chimes in, defending me.

"I don't think you two understand. An officer was murdered."

I understand.

"Three people were killed tonight. There needs to be justice. People need to be apprehended." The detective finishes.

"There is no one to apprehend!" I start to shout. "The people that shot Ashton are dead! There is no punishment! There is no closure! There. Is. No. Justice."

"That's what you think,"

"No, that's what I know!"

"Ma'am, please do not shout."

"I have every right to shout if I want to! I just lost the man that I loved! I think I deserve to shout!"

"That's a lie!" The detective declares, moving closer to my face.

"What is?"

"From what I understand, you never loved him."

"E-Excuse me?!"

"You never cared about him. The man was going into the military and what did you do? You left him. You walked away."

"That's not true!"

"Everyone knows it's true. He always told the guys at the precinct that he was the one that broke things off to spare you heart break, but come on. Ashton was always the type to make himself look like the jerk and everyone else look high and mighty."

"That's a lie! I would never leave him!"

"Just admit it, Juliet. You never loved him. It was all an act."

"Why would I act?!"

"Because you were the new girl in a big town and wanted protection. He knew it too."

"What do you mean?" I ask, scared of the answer.

"He knew you hated him. He knew you didn't care about him like he cared about you. All of the time he wasted thinking about you was just that, a waste."

"Fuck you!" I scream, standing up.

"Ms. Summers!"

"No, you're wrong! I loved him!"

"Who are you trying to convince? Me or you?"

"Get out!"

"Ms. Summers, I only have a few more questions."

"I'm not answering any of your questions. Get out! Now!" I hear the door swing open and see a face I haven't seen in five years.

"Get out." The masculine, blonde boy says. As the detective walks out of the room, the boy watches him with ferocious eyes and then turns his attention to me.

"Hey rockstar." Luke says under his breath. I smile weakly at him and watch as he sits in the chair across from me. He is much more muscular than he was back then. He used to be a lanky little boy. "Are you okay?"

"Physically, yes."

"I'm so sorry you had to go through this whole ordeal today."

"He thinks I killed them."

"Detective Harassment? No he doesn't, he just wants to know what happened."

"Because he thinks I killed them."

In a way, the Detective's theory is correct. They all knew me. They all wanted me in their lives, for more reasons than one. They all had a falling out with me.

I killed them.

It's my fault.