Chapter 41

Ashton

I miss her.

Not a day, not a minute goes by where I don't think about her.

The way I left her.

The way I hurt her.

The way I fell in love with her.

I never thought that I would be able to love someone as much as I love her. The minute I bumped into her on the side of the street, I knew there was something special hidden beneath those big, beautiful brown eyes. Now I'm never going to get to look into them again.

I'm in a period of training in Afghanistan. People are teaching me how to fire a weapon and a lot about military tactics. There have been a few night raids, but no lives have been lost.

I received Juliet's message a few days ago. I'm grateful that she didn't curse me off, but at the same time, I didn't want to hear her voice. Her voice is usually so soothing and angelic, but I knew that if I heard it after what I did it would sound broken. I broke her.

As I sit on base, I hear the other soldiers talk about their wives and girlfriends back home. They talk about how beautiful they are and how smart they are, but nobody is as beautiful ad smart as my baby girl.

I miss my baby girl.

"What about you, McAllister?" One of the soldiers asks.

"What about me?"

"Do ya have a special girl waiting for ya back at the home front?" He asks. I wait a second and then respond with the truth.

"I did. But I don't anymore."

"Why? Did you dump her?"

"No. I was stupid. I thought I could spare her heart break but I only made things worse. I ruined everything."

"I'm sure that's not true, soldier."

"And I'm sure it is." I say, hanging my head down and feeling lost. I thought I was doing the right thing. I lay back in the small bed and take out one of the laptops and a set of earphones. I search Genevieve King's name and see a video pop up the I've never seen before. It's called I Am Genevieve King. I click on the link and the video pops up. Pressing play, I turn the volume up and finally see the picture load. The voice catches me off guard as the face of an angel appears.

"Hi... I'm Juliet Summers."

Oh my God.

What did she do?!

Is she nuts?!

"Many of you know of Genevieve King and of her mysterious death. The press released different versions of her passing, but none of them are true. I know the real story of what happened to her. She started off as a girl that everyone hated and tortured. She was a straight A student who wrote and sang in her spare time. She had a very, very rough time at home, so music was her escape.

"Someone offered her fame and superstardom, but for all the wrong reasons. She wasn't performing for her anymore, so when tragedy struck, she decided end her career. When she was first offered her contract, she had a different name. She didn't want people to know who she really was, so she came up with an alternate identity that you all know as Genevieve King. Genevieve King is dead... But the girl hidden inside of her is alive.

"My name is Juliet Summers... And I am Genevieve King."

"Is that girl for real?" One of the other soldiers says sarcastically. I look up from my computer and give him a very nasty look. Just as I open my mouth, I hear her start to sing and the soldier's eyes turn wide.

"I believe in dreams again

I believe that love will never end

And like the river finds the sea

I was lost, now I'm free

Cuz I believe in you and me." When she finishes, she simply smiles and ends the video.

"I need a phone." I say, getting up and looking frantically for a phone. Once I get one of the base phones in my hand, I stare at it, trying to get enough gumption to call her. I hesitate to call her and instead look at the comments on her video.

This is amazing! I knew she wasn't gone!

I hope you get back into performing, you were great!

You're so gifted!

Wow, wasn't expecting that.

OMG!!!

I can't call her. She must be so angry and upset with me that I left her like that. I'm such a jerk. She doesn't deserve that.

She deserves the world, and right now, I can't give it to her.

So instead of calling her I leave an anonymous comment on her video.

I'm so proud of you. Never give up on your dreams, no matter what happens or who gets in your way.

As I click the send button, I refrain from typing the thing I want her to know the most.

I love her.

Song in this chapter:

I Believe in You and Me- Ariana Grande version