Chapter 27

Jay

One Week Later

I never thought that I would be scared to leave a hospital. This time, I am.

Lisa and I are about to walk outside when I stop in my track and start to breathe deeply.

"Jay, listen to me. You're safe now. It's over. I took off for a few days so I can stay home with you."

"Lisa, I can't go back there."

"Juliet Summers, never say you can't do something."

"But I,"

"Do you want to see Ashton?" She asks abruptly.

"Of course I do. I haven't seen him in almost a week."

"Then you need to come back to the house."

I feel myself sink back into my turtle shell as I follow Lisa to the car. As we are driving down the street, I feel my anxiety building and fear intensifying. I don't think I can pull off being Jay anymore. There is only so much a girl can take.

As we arrive in our driveway, my eyes immediately go to my bedroom window, which is now fully repaired. I feel my breath hitch and my panic rise as I picture myself running out of the house. I am about to run back inside the car when I hear my name being called down the street. I quickly turn to see Ashton running down the sidewalk to me. I drop my bag that I was holding in my hand and run as if my life depended on it. I feel like once I'm in his arms, everything is going to be okay.

Ashton's arms land around me as he picks me up and spins me around. I feel him kissing my neck as I hold onto him with all of my might.

"Ashton," I whisper into his ear.

"Baby?"

"I can't go in there."

"I know, but you have too. Just for a few minutes, then I'll make an excuse to take you out or something."

"You're coming with me?"

"Only if you want me to."

"Please."

"Alright, let's get this over with." He says, holding my hand and walking me to the house. Once we arrive at my driveway, he picks up my purse and squeezes my hand for reassurance. He opens the front door, walking me inside and trying to read my emotions. As he closes the door, I try to turn and leave, but I run into his chest. He holds me against him by my shoulders and whispers in my ear.

"I'm here, Jay. Nobody can hurt you. Just keep telling yourself that. You're safe." I nod and grab his hand again. He walks me down the hall and I see the door to my room. I stop walking at state at the closed door, not prepared to see the bloody mess behind it.

"I can't do this."

"Do you want me to go in first?" He asks. I look into his chocolate brown eyes and try to calm myself down. He opens the door and walks in. After a few seconds, he calls my name and I walk in slowly. The room is immaculate. Everything is in order. No glass or blood on the floor, nothing out of place. Like it was never even touched.

"See? There's nothing to be afraid of." I sit at my desk and open my drawer to see the song I wrote, still where I left it. "And I talked to your Aunt yesterday. She was debating about whether or not to get an alarm system installed. Would you feel safer if she had one?"

I would feel safer if the Satan and his spawn were behind bars.

"I guess." I say instead. Ashton walks over to my desk and squats in-front of where I sit.