047

Ruby, Dustin, and Steve help Robin and Erica up on the roof just in time before the elevator door opens

Ruby, Dustin, and Steve help Robin and Erica up on the roof just in time before the elevator door opens. Two Russian men walk in, speaking to each other and sniffing the area curiously.

Steve places his finger up to his lips, then quickly jumps down, stopping the elevator from closing by placing the tube of green liquid underneath it. "Let's go! Go, go, go!" He shouts. "I'm going!" Erica responds.

They all crawl under as fast as they can. By the time Steve makes it out, the door slams shut and the glass breaks. The green goo burns through the ground like acid, creating a large puff of smoke.

"Not green tea." Ruby mutters. "Jesus Christ." Steve says in disbelief, watching as it sizzles. "You still wanna drink that?" Robin asks, turning to face Erica.

"Holy mother of God." Dustin says as he turns around. The hallway ahead of them seems to be without end. The ending is so far away, that it may even take a day to finally arrive.

"Well... hope you guys are in good shape." Steve shrugs. "Looking at you, roast beef." Steve pats Dustin's chest as he walks past him. He begins walking, noticing that the others aren't following.

"Lets go, come on." Robin says, lightly pushing the three kids towards Steve. "Why me?" Dustin asks, turning to Ruby. "Am I out of shape?" He asks as she grabs his wrist, trying to pulls him ahead. "You know, maybe I can burn those calories away." She jokes, flaring her fire for a split second. "Ha ha very funny." He rolls his eyes.

It's been an hour since the five of them had started walking, and they're exhausted to say the least. "I mean, you have to admit, as a feat of engineering alone, this is impressive." Dustin states.

"What are you talking about? It's a total fire hazard." Steve argues. "There's no stairs, there's no exit, there's just an elevator that drops you halfway to hell."

"They're Commies. You don't pay people, they cut corners." Erica adds. "To be fair to our Russian comrades, I don't think this tunnel was designed for walking. Think about it, they developed the perfect system for transporting that cargo." Robin comments.

"It all comes into the mall like any delivery." Ruby speaks up. "And then they load it up onto those trucks and nobody's the wiser." Robin adds. "You think they built this whole mall just so they could transport that green poison?" Steve asks.

"I very seriously doubt it's something as boring as poison." Dustin says. "It's gotta be much more valuable, like promethium or something."

"What the hell is promethium?" Steve questions. "It's What Victor Stone's dad used to make Cyborg's bionic and cybernetic components." Robin responds.

"I still didn't get any of that." Ruby sighs. "You're all so nerdy, it makes me physically ill." Erica gags. "No, no, no. No, don't lump me up with them. I'm not a nerd, alright?" Steve shakes his head.

"Why so sensitive, Harrington? Afraid of losing cool points to a ten year old child?" Robin chuckles. "No, I'm just saying I don't know Jack shit about Prometheus."

"Promethium." Dustin corrects. "Promethius is a Greek mythological figure, but whatever. All I'm saying is, it's probably being used to make something." Dustin says.

"Or power something." Robin suggests. "Like a nuclear weapon?" Ruby asks. "Totally." Robin nods. "Walking towards a nuclear weapon. That's great." Steve sighs. "That'd be great."

"But if they're building something, why here?" Robin questions. "I mean, Hawkins. Seriously. Of all places. At the very best, we're a toilet stop on your way to Disneyland, but may that's it. Maybe it's our very..." Robin continues speaking as Dustin, Steve, and Ruby stay behind.

"You think the Russian know?" Steve asks. "About— they could." Dustin sighs. "So, it's connected?" Ruby cuts in. "Maybe." Dustin responds. "How?"

"I don't know, but it's..." Dustin trails off. "Possible." They all say. "I'm sorry, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" Robin calls.

The three of them share a look, before the walkie-talkie turns back on, a russian voice coming from it. Dustin, Steve, and Ruby run fo Erica, Who unzips her bag and takes it out.

She hands it to Robin, who begins repeating the Russian. "It's the code." She realizes. "Where ever that broadcast is coming from—" Dustin begins. "It's close. And if there's one think we know about that signal..." Robin trails off.

"It can reach the surface." Dustin finishes.

"Let's go."