Chapter 2

Rhea's POV

Edward told us that someone was in the house. Jasper left through my window and rang the front door. He told Dad that he wanted to take me on a date and that he would have me back before eleven. Dad let me go and we went to Jasper's house. Edward's stupid Volvo followed us the whole way.

"Who was it? Someone, we know?" Carlisle asked Edward after we all got settled.

Edward shook his head. "Just a stranger. I didn't recognize the scent," he said.

"A noman passing through?" Esme asked.

"A passerby wouldn't have left Rhea's father alive or Rhea for that matter," Rose said. Her arm was wrapped around my shoulders in comfort. I gave her hand a squeeze in reassurance. Now was the time for straight answers not lies to protect feelings.

"The scent disappeared about five miles south of their house," Ryan said walking back in with Emmett. Both of them went to track whoever it was. Jasper came and sat by my side and I leaned into him. Rose moved her arm to hold my hand instead.

"Someone's orchestrating this," Carlisle said.

"Victoria?" Bella asked.

"I don't know did you piss off anyone in Italy or was that reserved for your family?" I snarkily asked. I knew the comment was not wanted or needed but I had been bottling my feelings for too long, they were exploding. "I'm sorry, just tired."

"It's alright dear. Why don't you go lay down with Jasper and we can sort this out?" Esme offered.

I gave her a grateful smile before dragging Jasper up to his room. We snuggled on his bed and I let the slow but steady rhythm of his now beating heart lull me to sleep.

Jasper's POV

Rhea dragged me upstairs to my room. It was a bit of a mess since I actually slept now but she didn't seem to care. We snuggled on my bed and I wrapped a throw blanket around her and me. Her breathing evened out and I let myself focus on that. It surprised me how much my hunger went away. I still needed to feed, of course, but the constant ache went away. My throat only burned now if I haven't hunted in a while. Rhea really has changed me and I couldn't be happier. My gift was easier to control now that I didn't want to kill the entire student body. I love her, more than life itself. I never wanted to leave her but when her life was threatened I knew I had to leave. The Major and I refused to put her in harm's way.

"We'll take shifts guarding Bella at her house," Carlisle said.

"Another protection detail for her?" Rosalie asked.

"Rosalie."

"No, she's right," Bella said. "You can't protect me, watch for my Dad, and search for the intruder."

"And for Victoria," Rosalie added.

"And keep yourselves fed."

"I'm not leaving you here defenseless," Edward stated.

"Well, I'm not going to let you starve. And I wouldn't be unprotected. I have..."

"What?"

Rhea's POV

The following morning Jake and Paul were over. They checked the house to get the scent so they could help track. I told Jasper that I needed to talk to Paul and he understood.

"So, how've you been?" I awkwardly asked.

"I've been good. I imprinted, finally," Paul said.

"That's amazing! What is she like?"

"She's loud and sometimes has a temper but most of the time she is sweet and caring and funny..."

"You love her," I teased.

"It's not so different than you and your leech... I get it now. Why you were so upset when he wasn't here. Just being away for a few minutes makes me anxious."

"It's not something you ever get used to."

"Is that why your sister was almost suicidal?"

"No. She and Edward aren't mates. They don't have the same bond we do. They don't feel like their world is falling apart if the other one is unhappy. Our bonds are similar while theirs is built on infatuation."

A loud commotion between Edward and Jake pulled out attention. Thankfully Bella defused it but sooner or later those two boys were going to get into a fistfight. My money was on Jake coming out on top. The pack and the Cullens agreed to work together. They would trade halfway through the night guarding our house. During the day, when we weren't at school, we would be at the Cullen's house. Sometimes Jake would come and pick us up and we would go to his house. Those days I would try and find Paul or I would stay inside with Billy. Neither side liked working with the enemy but eventually, they got over themselves.

"I don't like it," Jasper said one afternoon. We were laying on his bed on our sides facing each other.

"Don't like what?" I asked playing with his fingers.

"Paul. Should I be worried?"

I gave a small laugh. "Paul is just my friend. Like Matt and Jay. All three of them helped me through very dark periods in my life. Besides Paul found his mate and I can tell how much he loves her."

"Good... I mean-"

"I know what you mean. You don't want to have to worry about the messed-up triangle Bella is putting Edward and Jake through. I promise you are the only man that I look in any sort of romantic way. Everyone is else is fatherly, platonic, or disgust." He let out a quiet laugh and my heart skipped a beat... or two.