Fifty

"WHAT'S THAT?"

Liam spoke up from where he stood in the animal clinic. Hayden rested beside him on the examination table with Theo on the other side. Her pale skin dotted with sweat, and the red rings around her eyes told everyone she wanted to rest.

But Liam wouldn't let her. He was afraid if she fell asleep she wouldn't wake up again.

Scott remained quiet at one end, bracing his arms against the metal. His focus followed his mom, who started to prepare an IV for Hayden.

"It's called chelation therapy," Melissa explained as she pulled back the blanket covering the girl's body. "It removes heavy metals from the blood. The problem is that it can attack the kidneys, and Hayden only has one to begin with so..."

Melissa lifted Hayden's left hand and carefully inserted a needle into a vein. Liam, however, only noticed the painful wince from Hayden, leading him to snatch Melissa's wrist.

He dug his fingers into the nurse's skin in protest. "Hey, you're hurting her!"

However, Melissa remained calm and stopped her movements. She turned her head and said clearly, "And you're hurting me."

Scott quickly looked over in alarm.

Luckily, Liam let go of his mother before he had to fully step in

"Sorry," Liam mumbled, moving his gaze to the floor.

"Guys, remember we're here to save a life," Theo entered the conversation, noticing the concerned looks Scott continued to give Liam. "Not kill each other."

Scott agreed with a small nod, "It's the full moon. We can feel it even during the day."

"And it's a super moon," Theo pointed out.

"What's that supposed to make you guys?" Melissa asked, picking up the IV bag. She moved to Hayden's other side and attached it to a stand. "Super strong? Super aggressive?"

Scott sighed, but answered truthfully. "Both."

A little bit later, Scott found himself sitting in an arm chair. He glanced around the clinic lobby, filled to the brim with complicated emotions that made him feel nothing but numb.

Deaton still hadn't made any contact, which brought more than worry into Scott. The vet at this point was more than his boss. Deaton was his family.

Then, the other members of his family he couldn't help but still be angry at.

Malia was avoiding everyone, Lydia found herself only focusing on Parrish. Stiles and Sierra...Scott didn't want to think about them.

Yet, the argument from the night before played like a broken record. He still felt hurt, betrayed even. But at the same time, he knew he missed them. After all, what kind of alpha was he if he didn't have them by his side?