Forty-Four

IT SEEMED LIKE THE NIGHT WOULD NEVER END.

Repressed memories, fights with Scott, breaking down in Stiles's arms, fighting the dread doctors till she literally passed out...Sierra had enough of this day.

Yet, instead of being home to rest--like she promised Melissa-- Sierra found herself back at the animal clinic. Her arms were crossed over her chest, a frown tugging down the corners of her mouth while she stood on the side of the examination table.

The three boys with her were smart enough to realize Sierra wasn't happy, not in the slightest.

Scott continued to sneak worried glances at her, even though he never spoke aloud. Melissa didn't know specifically why Sierra passed out, but gave Scott a good guess.

His best friend was exhausted.

And even though the two weren't on speaking terms, Scott still cared about her well-being. He wanted her to go home and sleep. But then he got a call from Stiles.

The anxious boy positioned himself across from Scott, a few feet away from Sierra and next to Theo. Everyone stared at the table, before Stiles swallowed hard. He pulled back the sheet to reveal Josh's body, while Theo watched the leaders' reactions carefully.

Sierra felt her breath hitch at the sight, seeing the youthful face dripping in blood. Stiles's expression softened as she turned away, moving her arms over her head. She couldn't stand to look at another kid like that...murdered by these insane scientists.

Scott remained frozen, yet his eyes glistened.

"Do you know him?" Theo asked.

"His name was Josh," Scott said painfully, remembering him from a class he had with Stiles. "He was a junior."

Stiles and Theo exchanged glances, but stayed quiet. Scott took a step back like Sierra did, so he could process another classmate being gone. Stiles covered Josh up with the sheet and released a sigh.

Sierra whirled back around, an edge to her tone as she demanded, "Which one of them did it?"

"Yeah," Scott agreed, looking back at the two. "Was it the one with the cane?"

Stiles made Theo answer, pressing his own mouth into a firm line. His gaze flicked over to Sierra, who stared at them expectantly. There was no way he was going to hide anything from her.

"Yeah," Theo finally stated, barely nodding. "It was the one with the cane."

Sierra caught Stiles's attention as Theo questioned Scott about what their next move was going to be. Stiles obviously looked freaked out, a pleading look on his face.

He needed to talk to her. Alone.

"We can't just set the alarm and leave," Scott said, not realizing Stiles and Sierra weren't listening. "That's how Tracy disappeared."

Sierra pursed her lips, not understanding her boyfriend's signal. He looked like he was going to burst at the seams. But then, he ever so slightly tilted his head. Sierra followed the line with her eyes, trying to notice anything that could be out of place.

Then she noticed Theo.

From him spending time with the pack, she knew he could keep his heart rate steady. Theo also rarely let his emotions show. But Sierra was more powerful than that. His energy didn't match up with his expression.

It only took one glance from Stiles, shifting from Theo to Josh for the pieces to come together.

Her eyes widened, just as Theo volunteered to stay behind to watch over Josh's body. Everyone looked at the beta in surprise--Sierra for a completely different reason. Theo shrugged, "It's not like I had a big Saturday night planned."