Thirty-Five

MOUNTAIN ASH.

A substance resembling black sand with a design to keep supernatural creatures at bay. No one should have been able to cross the barrier, except for humans and Sierra.

So, when Tracy leaped up from the operating table and ran through the mountain ash without a problem, Sierra grew concerned.

Everything happened in a blur. It was hard for them all to remember how they got to a point where everyone laid paralyzed.

After they first arrived at the animal clinic, Tracy remained unconscious and took heavy breaths. Deaton gave her a look over, checking her heart rate and seeing if her pupils dilated.

Observing her more closely allowed Deaton to notice evidence of a allogeneic skin graft on her right shoulder while the rest of her body remained dripping in sweat.

Deaton shined his small flashlight towards her mouth. "This silvery substance on her lips is not something I've seen," he told the worried teenagers. "It almost looks like mercury."

Stiles made a noise of discomfort when Tracy slightly spazzed, glancing at Scott and Sierra with uncertainty. They stood on either side of the veterinarian, while Malia stayed by Stiles and spoke up. "Can't you give her a shot or something?"

"She doesn't look to be in any pain," Deaton informed, Tracy now laying still.

"I meant a shot to kill her."

Instantly, Scott and Sierra lifted their eyes from the table. Stiles pursed his lips together, letting out a small breath from Malia's words.

Deaton replied sharply, "I generally prescribe to a code of ethics that frowns on such measures."

"Malia," Sierra stated her name in warning. "We've talked about this."

"You know we're not going to do that," Scott agreed.

"Okay, fine," Malia huffed and crossed her arms over her chest. "How do you know she's not going to kill us?"

Stiles chimed in carefully, "She makes a decent point." Sierra raised her eyebrows at him and he quickly lifted his arms in defense. "I'm just saying, because either way eventually I'm going to have to let my dad know she's here."

"Agreed," Deaton nodded and glanced at Scott and Sierra. "And while I might argue against euthanasia, I'm not opposed to a little...extra security." He picked up a small glass jar filled with mountain ash and untwisted the lid. A black puff of smoke filled the air as he then dumped it towards the doorway. Immediately, a straight black line appeared.

Stiles stared at the substance, feeling his insides twist. Deaton noticed and assured him Tracy wouldn't be able to cross the mountain ash. "Yeah, that's kind of what I'm afraid of," Stiles admitted, rubbing the back of his neck.

"Well, you and I will be able to get out of here no problem," Deaton shared, slightly shrugging his shoulders. "And because of what Kate did to Sierra with the terrigen crystal, she'd be free to escape as well."

"He's right," Sierra confirmed with a nod. "Mistletoe is the only thing that can slow me down now."

"You two, however," Deaton flicked his gaze between Scott and Malia, "would have more an issue getting out."

Malia scrunched up her nose and looked down at the barrier covering the doorway. Curiously, she stuck her hand towards it. Feeling the electric buzz and seeing the bright, blue light, she quickly jerked back.