Forty

"HELLO?"

A gentle knock made Stiles tiredly lift his head from where he had been resting it in his hand. "Come in," he whispered, but didn't bother to get up from the desk chair he sat in.

Sierra had completely passed out on the way home from Eichen House, once she was sure Scott and Kira were alright. She found out the reason behind her pain earlier was from Scott getting electrocuted. He picked up Kira after she fell unconscious, to stay out of the Dread Doctors' way. In doing so, he suffered from some pretty heavy burns.

Though, now everyone seemed to be doing okay. At least, that's what Stiles kept repeating to himself.

Once Sierra fell asleep, he didn't have the heart to wake her up. He carried her inside her house about half an hour before, getting pestered by Jemma's questions. Stiles answered them vaguely since Sierra hadn't informed her sister much of what has been occurring, and took Sierra upstairs.

Since then, he had been sitting at her bedside too afraid to leave.

"Hey, Mal," Stiles greeted quietly at the sight of the werecoyote. He straightened his back as an accidental yawn escaped his mouth. "What's up?"

"Scott just told me what happened at Eichen," Malia explained the reason for her visit and she opened the door wider so she could come inside. Shutting it behind her, she looked concerned at Sierra already asleep. "Is she alright?"

Stiles followed her gaze to where Sierra was tucked under the covers, her normal bright eyes fluttered shut. Her eyebrows were scrunched together, creating a crinkle in her pale skin. She looked worn out.

"I, uh, I hope so," Stiles replied with a sigh and leaned forward to put his elbows on his knees. "I don't really know what happened. She was fine until she connected with Scott, but then it was like she couldn't get her energy back."

"Do you think the Dread Doctors did something to her?" Malia asked, crossing her arms.

"Let's pray they didn't," Stiles said, rubbing his shoulder. Malia eyed the movement, but let him finish.

"That's why we're all reading the book tomorrow night to find out. It's time to understand what game they're playing." He glanced back over to his girlfriend before looking at Malia. "Is there anything else you needed to talk about?"

Malia shifted the weight between her feet, telling Stiles there was something on her mind. He raised an eyebrow. "Malia?" he called out to her. "You okay?"

"Not really," she kept her eyes on the ground. "Earlier tonight, I was driving and...and I remembered something."

Stiles sat back up. "Driving?" he echoed. "Malia, you only have your permit. Why were you driving by yourself?"

"I wasn't by myself," she defended herself quietly. Stiles motioned for Malia to go on when she hesitated and she let out a heavy breath. "Promise me you won't get mad?"

Stiles winced at her words and said, "Okay, that's not the best way to start the conversation, but fine, I won't get mad. Who were you with?"

"Theo," Malia mumbled, daring to sneak a glance at his reaction. He opened his mouth but she cut him off. "Look, I know how you feel about him, alright? But he was studying with me at the library and I needed a ride home. So I accepted his offer. That's it. Nothing happened between us--though even if there was, I wouldn't tell you about it."

Stiles tried to not roll his eyes but kept his word. "So you were with...him," Malia made a face. "You said you remembered something. Let's just talk about that."

"I finished reading the book, and I think driving triggered a memory the book resurfaced," Malia wrung her hands together. "I remembered that night with my family...the car crash."