Chapter 35 - Mind-Boggling Thoughts

Chapter 35 – Mind-Boggling Thoughts

For a second, Kelsey couldn’t believe her ears. “What?”

“It’s actually a pretty neat plan. I have more people working for me in Ortega’s gang than the FBI does. Though, I’m sure he has quite a few in my gang, too. I try to stay aloof. It’s my method, you know. I always have people to do my work for me. I rarely get my hands dirty.” Caleb said with a smirk on his face.

“Why would Alex kill Ortega for you?”

“Ortega wouldn’t go to jail. Plus, he’s going to be charged for murdering someone.” Caleb said, casually taking a seat on his expensive couch.

“Let me guess. You killed that someone?”

Caleb just shrugged. “I don’t like traitors. I don’t like people that betray me, or that betray someone else for me.”

“Loyalty matters to you?”

“Very much.” Caleb said. “I don’t tolerate backstabbers and cheaters.”

“Any history?”

“Are you a shrink? Why do you think I’d share my life’s history with you?” Caleb asked. “You’re lucky I’m telling you what I am.”

“Why are you telling me what you are?”

Caleb grinned again, that sly grin that he often had on his face when he wasn’t smirking. “Because, you’ll tell that to everyone once I’m gone. You’ll share my brilliance with the world.”

Kelsey’s eyebrows furrowed. “When you’re gone?”

Caleb just shrugged. “I’ve been planning this for a while, though I didn’t expect for Special Agent Diaz to fall in love with you. It happened for the better, I guess. It makes him more emotionally invested. He’s desperate to find you, you know?”

She brightened at his words. “He knows I’m missing?”

“Suspects it, yes. I had to pull your sister out before he got to her. She nearly attacked your cousin to get away.”

Her heart clenched. “Verona?”

“Your cousin’s a lot more astute than I gave her credit for. She might look like some bimbo, but she’s really cunning. She figured out that Kara wasn’t Kelsey. Poor thing questioned her for it. It was a good thing I was already pulling Kara away; otherwise, I might have had to get her killed.” Caleb said. His casual attitude was fully flourishing and I wanted to smack that evil grin off of his face. How could he consider killing someone to be such a simple thing?

“Where’s Kara?”

“She’s on her way to the warehouse.” Caleb responded. “Once your precious Verona wakes up, she’ll helpfully tell—”

“Wakes up?” Kelsey interrupted. “Why would she wake up? What did you do to her?”

“I didn’t do anything. Kara did. Apparently, she was eavesdropping on her when I was talking to her. Kara panicked and knocked your cousin out. Don’t worry. She’ll come to.” Caleb shrugged again, and Kelsey wondered how he could treat the situation in such a casual, aloof matter. It was almost like because someone else did it, it didn’t connect Caleb Rocha to anything. “Now, as I was saying, when she wakes up, she’ll tell your precious police force exactly what she heard. It makes my plan easier, you know? Now, I don’t have to get someone else to do it. It helps my plan run smoother?”