Chapter 37 - Catastrophic Intentions

Chapter 37 – Catastrophic Intentions

Alex had already called Dylan, who was on his way to Verona’s apartment, and was now making his way back to his headquarters.

Every few seconds, his hand subconsciously picked up his phone and glanced at the screen, hoping to get a message from Dylan. He was often disappointed.

A part of him was tempted to go to Verona’s apartment himself, but he knew that Dylan was closer and Dylan had a key, not Alex. Unless he wanted to break open the doors, which required a warrant, he decided to just let Dylan complete the task he was assigned.

Verona’s statement had definitely changed the situation. Alex was partly relieved that his suspicions were finally confirmed about Kara and Kelsey. Otherwise, there might have always remained a doubt in his mind.

However, Verona’s words also confirmed what Shay had told him about before, about what their informant had said.

There were still several holes in the story. The first one was that they didn’t know which warehouse this showdown was going to take place in. There were hundreds of warehouses in L.A. and they had no way of tracking down which one was the right one.

Even if they managed to narrow it down to a neighborhood, they were going to need major skills to figure out where it was. Hopefully, once he got back, he could get information about that from the informant. He’d probably demand money for it, but this was a bit of an urgent situation.

Plus, Alex also wanted to know which informant managed to come forth with this type of information. This was the kind that would have been kept under wraps.

What if it was intentional?

A plan, for example, that was meant to distract the police long enough for them to pull something bigger and worse. What if it was a distraction?

Alex was in the elevator when his phone rang. He answered it halfway through the first ring. “Diaz.”

“Yeah, it’s Dylan.”

“Did you find it?” He asked before Dylan said anything more. It was a yes or no question. He either found it or he didn’t.

It would have been better if he did.

Then, they’d be able to look at the last dialed number and hopefully track it to a location. If they were lucky, that location would be the warehouse where this meeting was supposedly taking place. If Alex was lucky, it would trace back to where Kelsey was being held. Both options were possible and both were good.

As much as Alex wanted to find Kelsey, though, his priorities lied in getting to this warehouse. It was his job and he was letting it be affected by a woman that he cared about. But how could he sacrifice so many lives for one?

Alex had to hope that she was okay, wherever she was, and just do his job.

“Yes.” Dylan’s answer brought pure relief to Alex.

“Yes?” He asked, wanting to make sure he’d heard correctly. This could be the opening that he’d been waiting, been looking for. A phone could open doors that they hadn’t been able to open so far. It would have been a brilliant opportunity and Alex couldn’t emotionally afford to get his hopes up, if they were going to be crushed, again.