Chapter 11 - First Encounter

Chapter 11 – First Encounter

Kelsey couldn’t believe she was doing this. Following Kara? Her own sister? For all Kelsey knew, Kara might be going to the grocery store to buy eggless eggs.

But the further they drove, Kelsey was certain that this wasn’t a household errand. She felt like a spy, a detective. Was this what Alex’s job felt like?

Was this what the thrill felt like?

Kelsey made sure to keep a few cars’ distance between her car and Kara’s car. Kara might not be aware of the fact that Kelsey was following her, but she did know what Kelsey’s car looked like and she didn’t want Kara to change her path because of her.

She wanted to see exactly where Kara was going.

Thinking of Alex, Kelsey decided that it might be a good idea to inform him about this, especially if Kara was going to Caleb Rocha. Alex wanted to arrest him and this might be a golden opportunity.

Knowing that talking on the phone and driving at the same time was illegal, Kelsey still pulled out her cell phone and called the previously dialed number. The phone continued ringing, but there was no answer. Frustrated, Kelsey tried again. Still nothing.

Kelsey couldn’t believe her bad luck. Alex always answered her calls, and the one time she needed him to answer, the onetime perhaps her life depended on it, he was ignoring her calls?

Kelsey drove for a bit before trying again. Still nothing.

Suddenly, Kara pulled into a quiet street and Kelsey pulled over to the side of the road, waiting a few minutes before following Kara’s car into the street.

They’d arrived in the part of the city that was not so well off. The houses had gotten smaller and the lawns were not as primly presentable the more expensive parts of the city. Kelsey’s blood was pumping wildly and her heart was racing. She had no idea what to do.

Alex wasn’t answering her calls and she may as well be following Kara to her own death. Still, she didn’t stop the car and turn around. Her intention was to get to the bottom of this and Kelsey intended to do it.

Passing a street, Kelsey noticed Kara’s car parked there. She skipped the street, parking her own car a few streets ahead. She got out of the car, clutching her phone in one hand and her keys in the other. She planted her keys in a pot near her car, making sure no one was looking. Her keys jingled. Kelsey didn’t want for anyone to hear them.

Then, she put her phone on silent and called roadside assistance. “Roadside Assistance.” The operator answered on the other side of the line.

“I’m stuck.” Kelsey spoke into the speaker.

“What seems to be the problem?” The operator asked.

“My keys are missing.” Kelsey told the operator. Kelsey had good car insurance and she knew that this was something that was covered. She hadn’t needed it until now, but if something went wrong, at least they’d have her last location. “I need to get my car towed home.”

“Can I get your location?” The operator asked.

Kelsey gave the operator her best approximate location as well as her information. “It’s a red Toyota Camry.” Kelsey added at the end.

“We’ll send someone out to you.” The operator responded, before hanging up. Kelsey clutched her phone. Now what? She clearly hadn’t thought this through well enough. A tow truck could take up to an hour to arrive. Alex wasn’t answering his phone. It wasn’t an emergency enough to call 911. Kelsey couldn’t just sit here. Her keys weren’t even missing.