Chapter 28 - In Captivity

Chapter 28 – In Captivity

All of her was in pain as she felt herself coming to consciousness. She felt an unbearably painful ache in her head that made her want to lie back down and fall asleep into oblivion, no feelings. No thoughts.

Her fingers struggled to rub her head, but something was stopping her, and the fact that something was stopping her seemed to make the headache more severe. Her whole body was in pain. Had she fallen off the bed or something?

Then, she remembered that she slept on a queen size bed, all alone, if you didn’t count Professor, that is. Er, Grizzly. She also didn’t remember going to bed.

And she didn’t understand why her head was hurting so much.

Open your eyes, Kelsey. Open. Open sesame. It felt like her eyes were glued shut. She tried to rub them, but again, she couldn’t move her hands. What was going on?

Finally her eyes opened. And she instantly shut them. Not right. Still, she tried again. This time when she opened them, she kept them open. She stared at it for two full minutes before allowing herself to think.

Why was there a wall of boxes in front of her? It should have been the ceiling to her bedroom. It should have been the ceiling to Verona’s living room. But there was a wall of boxes. And she wasn’t wearing her clothes. She wasn’t naked. Instead, she was dressed in a black t-shirt a size too big and a pair of Bermudas. Why?

Then suddenly, like a flash, it all came back to her. She was going to go talk to Alex. Then, Chris called. She soured at the thought of that incorrigible man. Who was he, really? That mere thought alone brought on a whole new ache to not only her head, but also her emotions. How could she foolishly trust someone she just met? Sure, Dylan had introduced her to him, but still, she should have known. Why else would someone as handsome as Chris be interested in someone like her? She was delusional, thinking that she was the one letting him down easy. He was probably relieved.

Now, trusting him got her where? In a dusty room with no windows. There was one door, all the way across and it was shut. At least she wasn’t alone. No, she had boxes and boxes around her. And she certainly did feel….detained. She was a very normally peaceful person, but she swore to herself that if and when she got her hands on Chris, she was going to strangle the man. Of course, he was bigger and stronger than she was, so sure, he could probably break her spine with one hit, but that didn’t really matter at the moment. Kelsey was feeling murderous.

And lonely.

She’d never been tied to a chair before. She normally had Grizzly to give her company. Sure, it was slightly pitiful that her company was a cat, but cats could be interesting. At least, Grizzly was. That demanding little beast.

Shoot, he was all alone in Verona’s apartment. Who was going to take care of him? Verona? She could barely take care of herself.

What was she going to do when she realized Kelsey was gone? She’d certainly tell Dylan. He was, after all, her boyfriend. And Dylan would tell Alex. And Alex would do something to rescue her, wouldn’t he?

Her head hurt. She had no idea where he was. She didn’t know who brought her here, though she had a pretty good idea. She only had one real enemy these days and that was Kara. The weird thing was that she wasn’t even worried if she was going to die. She was still alive, wasn’t she? But that didn’t mean that she was going to be tortured. Oh god. Was she going to be tortured? For what? Information? She had no information. They were going to torture her to death because she had nothing to tell them. Was this it for her?

As things started making more sense, fear crept into her. Chris had betrayed her. She was sure of that much. His last words to her confirmed it. She’d been a part of his plans all along. She had no clue what his plans entailed, but she wasn’t of use to him anymore. And it was already proven that Caleb Rocha didn’t care whether or not she lived, so she was a lesser threat to him dead.