Chapter 29 - In The Hands Of The Enemy

Dedicated to Kierstan for her generous amount of voting and commenting which made this chapter update possible today. Be sure to leave lots of comments on this chapter, too!!

Chapter 29 – In The Hands Of The Enemy

The longer Kelsey stayed in this old warehouse, the more nervous she became. She had more time to think, more time to think about how helpless she was. And that she was at the mercy of complete strangers.

How had this happened?

She was someone who always wanted to stay low on people’s radar. She never wanted to get into trouble. She never invited trouble. Yet, after all her efforts, here she was tied up to a chair and she had absolutely no clue as to where she was. She could be anywhere. She didn't know how long she’d been unconscious. She might not even be in L.A. anymore.

She could be anywhere. She could be in Arizona. She could be in Canada. She could even be in New Zealand, though she doubted that she could be out of California. She hadn't been unconscious for that long, had she?

It was strange how much time a person had to just think when they had nothing else to do. She could think about everything she’d done wrong in the past few weeks. She shouldn’t have called Alex back. She shouldn’t have told him about Kara’s shoe shopping. That was it, wasn’t it? All of a girl’s problems started from shoes.

Kelsey was considering on giving shoes up for the rest of her life in exchange for her freedom, but she wasn’t ready to make that type of deal, yet. She still hadn’t properly accustomed herself to calling Professor Grizzly. Her poor cat was confused.

Her cat.

Who would be taking care of her cat in her absence? Kelsey had Grizzly for almost five years and in the past five years, they had been each other’s only companions. Would Verona take care of him? Would Alex?

Kelsey felt like her relationship—or whatever you may call it—with Alex had been short lived, only because of her sister. Kelsey felt awful for thinking it, but couldn’t Kara have found some other criminal to become romantically involved with? Why did she have to come back to L.A.? Her beloved sister probably knew Kelsey was here. She was probably the one who suggested it.

All this time, Kelsey had thought that her twin bond with Kara connected them in ways that even normal siblings couldn’t. She thought that despite their distance, they shared a bond. Maybe it was the bond that they were born on the same day, or that they’d inherited identical features. They’d been in their mother’s womb together. Kelsey had called it love. But now, it seemed that all of that was gone.

Now, there was only resentment—on Kelsey’s part, at least. And she was sure that none of this would have happened if there hadn’t been a degree of resentment on Kara’s part, too.

What did Kara have to be envious of, though? Kelsey wasn’t sure.

It was a miracle that Kara was more beautiful and charming that Kelsey was despite the fact that they were identical.

Of course, these thoughts were repetitive and Kelsey had been thinking the same thing for the past few hours. Occasionally, she thought about random things. Her muscles had stopped aching from being tied up for so long. Still, the urge to get up and stretch her arms and legs was almost unbearable.

All she could do was think about how unfortunate she was.

That was, until she heard the door click. Then, it seemed like every muscle in her body seemed to freeze with awareness. She knew that it might be her death notice on the other side of the door. She might have been alone, and tied up, but at least she was alive. If the door opened, her death notice might be on the other side.