Chapter 33 - The Enemy's Enemy

Chapter 33 – The Enemy’s Enemy

When Kelsey woke up the next day, she felt a lot more at ease than she should have, considering that she was kidnapped by a man she’d grown to hate and pity both at the same time.

It was true that she felt bad for Caleb Rocha, after learning what he’d gone through. She’d meant what she’d told him, though. A person couldn’t control what others did to them, but they could control what they did to others. He couldn’t blame his raising for the way he’d become.

Maybe some things urged him to follow the path he’d taken, but the decision to follow it was entirely his own.

That was what Kelsey was thinking when she woke up.

She got up from the couch she’d occupied overnight and stretched, taking in the beautiful scene in front of her. It was so lovely. Maybe, when one day all this was done and over with, she’d want a place like this to call her own. Then again, maybe not.

Sure she’d been kidnapped by Caleb Rocha. She’d been with him for almost a day, but he’d done nothing to harm her in any way. He got angry and said stuff, but he hadn’t physically touched her. She didn’t expect this sort of almost gentlemanly behavior from a criminal who had murder on his hands.

Her stomach growled and she remembered that she was hungry. Thinking back, she realized that she hadn’t eaten anything since yesterday morning, when she’d gone to visit Chris. It wasn’t even considered a meal, more like a snack. She hadn’t fitted getting kidnapped into her agenda for the day.

But now she wasn’t just hungry. She was starving and her body craved food. She‘d never felt so helpless before in her life. She was in one of the most beautiful houses in Los Angeles County and she was starving. And she didn’t even have a toothbrush. How was she supposed to eat without brushing her teeth?

She made her way to the kitchen getting some water in a cup from the faucet. She gurgled and then spitted it out a few times. Then, it occurred to her that she could start by looking in the bathroom. That’s where toothbrushes and toothpaste were kept, wasn’t it?

This place was beautiful. If getting kidnapped meant living in a place like this, even for a few days, then Kelsey was sure that girls would probably be lining up to volunteer. Unfortunately, Kelsey was not one of those women. She never wanted to get kidnapped, and she’d never desired to live in a place like this if she had to go through such extents to get it.

When she discovered that there was no bathroom on the first floor, she realized that it had to be on the second. With that thought in mind, she had a sudden urge to pee. When had she last peed? She had no idea.

But Caleb Rocha was up there, and Kelsey was in no mood to face him. But she had to go pee. She realized that she never really had much of a choice in that matter to start with. She tentatively reached the steps, climbing them one at a time. Even the steps were classy wooden ones and the handrail was crafted to appear like vines, climbing up the steps along with her. This place had to be worth millions.

When she reached the top, she realized there was no bedroom. This was the bedroom, and all the way across the bedroom, her eyes landed on a partially opened door that promised a bathroom. It was like a beacon, a lighthouse emitting its light to any ships that were distraught in sea. Right now, she was the ship and the bathroom was her shore.