Chapter 12

"It's not the goodbye that hurts, but the flashbacks that follow." -Unknown

---------------------> "I AM SO GLAD THAT EVERYBODY IS HERE," Albus Dumbledore's soft but firm voice was carried in the wind

The formal dining room of the family Manor of the Most Ancient and Noble House of Longbottom was dressed much like the Dowager Augusta Longbottom- big and extravagant.

The Lady of the House herself was seated in one of the extremely expensive and handcrafted wooden chairs, looking like the embodiment of pureblood manners, with an erect back, blank face and cold eyes. Her thin lips were pressed in a thinner line and many frown lines could be seen on her face. It had been a long time since she had smiled.

She had admittedly been a little wary at first about the Order of the Phoenix, to be honest. Dark times had fallen upon them again and this time, her dear Frank was not there to reassure her that everything was going to be fine.

If there was one thing Augusta wasn't, it was blind. She knew what was happening to the people who publicly stood against the Dark Lord Voldemort. That man had done unspeakably horrible things to those that had opposed him.

During the first war, she had been nervous about Frank and Alice being Aurors. But those nerves had instantly turned to fear when her dear brave son had told her that he was part of the Order of the Phoenix, that was headed by Albus Dumbledore. Albus had been her Transfiguration professor, back when she was a young girl who went to Hogwarts, and he was brilliant, of course. But she had been afraid that he would not be able to protect her son.

And she had been right.

Soon after she had been told that particular secret regarding her son and daughter-in-law, she had also been hit with the news that her grandchild and the Heir to the House of Longbottom, Neville, -sweet innocent Neville- who had just turned a year old a few months ago, was one of the two children who were prophesied to defeat the Dark Lord. She was proud, of course. It was very nice to hear that her little grandchild could achieve such a feat.

Then there was also the fear.

They knew they would be heavily targeted. So they took all the necessary precautions to be safe. They heavily warded the Manor and used ancient family magic to protect themselves.

October 31st of that year had been awful.

The Potter's had died, trying to protect their little girl, Rosalie Dorea Potter, who was also Alice's god-daughter and Neville's god-sister.

She felt so guilty for being extremely overjoyed on hearing about the passing of Lord and Lady Potter and was very much ashamed of herself for feeling so.

Dorea, along with Minerva had been a dear friend of hers (despite being sorted into Slytherin); and she had always secretly adored Charlus' shenanigans, back when he was Gryffindor Prefect along with her. And she had heard nothing but lovely things about James from her darling son and she was also very proud of Sirius for going to the House of the Lions despite knowing that he would earn his mother's wrath in doing so.