Chapter Twenty-Two

Chapter Twenty-Two:

"Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave."

I looked up, and there it was London shoreline. We were so close to home, I could already smell Nani's cooking. I stood leaning against the ship's rail, my dress and cloak blowing in the sea air. Lucas had kept to himself the last few days, and Sebastian spent more time twirling his sword around then talking. I had studied through all the papers from Morocco, learning what the trade implements would be. I watched as the crew brought our things up on deck for us to take home. There were chests, upon chests, most of which were locked, till I could open them. I felt a hint of anger deep inside of me, wishing my father could have given the key then and there, instead of hiding things. 

With every passing moment, I watched as the dock became more visible to me, and I couldn't help but feel anxious to be home to my mother. To find this note and to figure out what was going on. Sebastian joined me at the rail, "Remember what I told you?"

"Yes, play the act." I smile at him, reveling the bracelet that Calston had given to me, before we left. "I will play this as if I am in an opera." 

"Good." He smiled, touching my hand one last time before we reached land. "Better get ready, because here is your opening act."

As the dock pulled into port, I could see my mother, crying already, with Calston behind her. Next to them, Serena and Mr. Madison. I could see Mr. Lowry speaking with Aiden and Olivia. My mother was waving now, like a frantic lady. I smiled at her, running straight for her. "Oh sweet Kitten." She stroked my hair, "How I've missed you, I cannot wait to hear all about it." She turned, "Curtis." He ran up to my mother, hugging me, "Go fetch her things." 

"Wait, Curtis, speak to the Captain he will tell you which of the belongings are mine." 

"How much do you have, darling?" My mother raised her eyebrow at me.

"Enough." I laughed, turning my body to Henry, who patiently waited his turn. "Mr. Calston." I curtsied, reveling my bracelet. 

"Miss. Braxton," He extended his hand, allowing me to take it, pulling me to him. He hugged me, tightly and into my ear I heard the words, "I do hope the journey was pleasant, and no little problems happened." I could feel the crocked smile he held. 

"It was lovely, we set up the new trade route, and was able to arrive and return safetly. Thank you for caring so much, Mr. Calston." I smiled, and I could feel his arm twitch underneath him. 

"Camille, would you like to show me the route on the map." He pointed toward the office, " I have been ever so curious."

"Of course," I smiled, linking my arm through his, he practically dragged me past Sebastian, and into the trading company. "What is your game, Camille?"

"What are you talking about, Henry." I smiled at him, taking his hand. 

"No games? I don't believe that, there was an attack on your ship." He was hovering over me now, breathing heavily into my face. 

"I have no idea what you are speaking of, Henry. Unless you arranged something that didn't happen?" I eyed him, watching his expression chagne. 

"Of course not, I wouldn't hurt you." He looked at me, backing away. "But you better know now, here and forever, I will not tolerate being played games with, Miss. Braxton."

"I understand, Mr. Calston." I looked at him, and straightened my body.

"Oh, and remember, I am asking for your hand. You better know by then what I want from  you. And what I expect." He turned around, walking away from me.