Chapter Nine

*Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave.*

I couldn’t feel my legs anymore, I had fell asleep against the door, and wasn’t sure if last night was a nightmare, or real. I felt the cold ground beside me, and I reached up and touched my lips. “What were you thinking last night Camille?” I brushed a piece of my hair out of my face, and pulled myself up from the ground. I could hear the maids and Curtis starting to move around upstairs. “They can’t see me like this.” I darted up the stairs, and slid into my room, stripping off my clothes, and grabbing a hair brush, but as soon as I went to move a brush through it, Nani entered my room “Miss?” I spun around and smiled.

“Yes?” 

“Would you like me to fetch you a bath? Your mother says that you need one, before you guys leave to meet with Miss. Madison, for the wedding.” She smiled at me, before looking at me with a small glimpse of worry.

“Um... yes, please! I would love that.” I grabbed her hand and squeezed, “I will fetch a dress to wear to the Madisons.” I walked to my closet, just grabbing a white dress laying it on my bed. I could hear the maids gathering water and bring it upstairs for me to slip into my bath. It was just off the edge of my bathroom. 

“The bath is ready.” Nani smiled, and pulled my nightgown off of my head, giving me a hand into the bath. The water stung at first, but I let the warm water soak over me, and start relieving my stress. I plugged my nose before duking my head completely underneath and reappearing above the water. 

“Do you need any help, m’am?” She smiled at me, and handed me the soap.

“Can you help me with my hair?” I smiled at her, and flipped my hair for her to begin to wash it. “Since we will leave it wet, till we get to the Madisons.” I smiled at her, and she started scratching into my head. 

After a long bath, and getting shoved into the carriage, we were on our way to meet Mrs. Madison and Rose, along with Serena... to get ready for the wedding. I sat on the bench beside my mother, as she reached for my hair pulling it on top of my head, wrapping it, putting a pin in it.  “Time to get you into your dress!” My mom pulled me off the bench, and almost ripped it off. 

‘Mother!” I gasped, feeling exposed in my corset, and slip. “Can we be a little more gentle?” 

“We’re on a strict time.” She glared under her eyelashes, “Her lets slip this on first.” She held up the hoop skirt, before slipping it over my head, “And now your dress,” I touched the soft fabric again, Rose had picked out a beautiful dress that is for sure. 

I felt the tightening of the white ribbons down the front of my bodice, and I gasped for a small amount of air. “Rose! Hurry, I want to see your dress.” I looked at the divider and I could see a huge bubble of fabric and a tiny Rose. 

“I can only hurry as fast as they can.” She laughed at me, but I could see Serena standing beside me, and she didn’t seem happy to be sharing the same air as me. “But with just one more tug of my air, they’ll be done.” 

I waited, till this huge glow of white fabric appeared, it was beautiful, and Rose looked so frail in it. It wasn’t bad, it made her look delicate. “Rose... you’re gorgeous.” I had tears forming in my eyes, and I reached out my hands for her, pulling her into a big hug. “This is a day, I am excited to be a part of. I love you, Rose.” 

“I love you too, Camille.” She had tears in her eyes, and Serena smiled as well, but kept quiet. 

“Ladies, time to go. We have to be outside and ready for this wedding, in less then five minutes. Now let’s go.” My mother stood watching us, and Mrs. Madison  stood looking at her daughter. “Beautiful, all of you.” She grabbed my hand, and pulled me into the hallway, “Behave today.“

The wedding was beautiful,  and it was when we were sitting in the reception hall. And Serena was glaring me down. “Care to dance with me?” My brother leaned over and took my hand, leading me to the floor. But as soon as it started, I felt a tap.

“May I cut in?” It was Lucas.

“Yes, you may.” My brother bowed and I curtsied low.

“Ready?” Lucas smiled, and took my hand, starting to spin me around the wall. “May we talk about last night?”

“No... I really don’t not at a wedding.” I smiled, trying to keep a good face.

“Come on, we kissed, we cannot let that just settle and leave it alone.” He looked deep into my eyes, but i pulled away and moved away from him, shaking my head, moving through the crowds. “Camille!” 

As we moved through the crowds and straight outside, I was catching my breathe. I felt light headed and I felt the tears rushing to the surface again. “Why Lucas?” I spun around and looked at him. 

“Because I love you!” 

“You what?” We both looked up to see Serena, crossing her arms. “Did you really, just say this?”

“Serena..”

“No. Don’t try. We are getting married, so please understand, Camille, leave my betrothed alone.” She stepped up closer to me, “You will not ruin this.”

“Serena, leave her alone.”

She spun on her heels, her hair whipping me in the face. “Why, because you would rather be with her? We both know that isn’t how this world works.” She was yelling now.

“Maybe it could, because I don’t love you. Not like that at least.” I stood there, feeling the pressures of my world falling on our shoulders. 

Serena’s eyes narrowed and she raised her hand slapping Lucas straight across the face, so loud I could hear it. “We are getting married, and we can’t change it. So learn to let go of this, whore.” I gasped and wanted to attack her. 

“Serena, leave.” But before she could leave, I picked my skirts up, running through them toward the room where my mother was. But I ran straight into someone. 

“I’m so sorry, are you okay?” I looked up to see the most beautiful hazel eyes. 

“Yes, I am fine, I should be saying sorry, not you,” I fixed my skirt, and looked up at him.

“I am Sebastian Lowrey, who do I have the pleasure of meeting,” He took my hand and kissed it.

“I am Camille Brexton.” I smiled giving a low curtsey. 

“There you are, kitten,” My mother touched my waist, “Hello Mr. Lowrey, nice to see you.” She smiled at me, “May I borrow my daughter, she has someone else to meet.”

Walking away from the most handsome man I had laid eyes on, since Lucas, was hard, but my mother spun me around and tapped someone’s shoulder. When he turned around, I felt chills down my back, like when Darius looked at me. He had a wicked smile cross his face, and I felt sick, “Camille, this is Henry Calston.”