Chapter One

."Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave."

My dearest Camille,

My semester at Brogan's will be coming to an end, at the end of the spring semester. I hear you return home in a year, as well, which just so you know, makes my heart feel whole again. I cannot wait to see you, my love. You're coming out party, will be the event of the year. I just know it. (Because of your mother, and because you will be gorgeous.) And things will work out I promise. I will marry you and we will be together, and we will see the world together, I promise.

With love,

Lucas Madison

As I folded the letter up, I felt an emotion of both happiness and sadness, knowing that it had been a year since I had received any letters from Lucas, and that I was returning home now, without knowing what to expect. I put the folded letter with the others I had kept, and shut my trunk.

"Curtis, my trunk is ready." My mother, didn't even come, she sent Curtis, and I felt another wave of sadness fall over me.

"Coming, Miss. Say your goodbyes and I will come get you when it is time to go." I watched him walk outside and I turned grabbing my coat and gloves, 

"Goodbye, Cami." I turned and saw Isabella, a girl I had claimed as my best friend, these last seven years, she was from Spain, and her Spanish features always made my jealous. Her tan skin, with long black hair that fell to her waist, and dark green eyes.

"Goodbye, Bella; I will see you at my party, right?"

"Of course," we embraced and Curtis walked up.

"Time to leave, Miss. Brexton." He smiled and nodded to Bella.

"Coming." I waved goodbye to Isabella, then stepped into the carriage.

The carriage ride took longer than I thought it would, and the cold didn't seem to help at all. I was cold, and my blanket that Curtis had given me, didn't keep the nip of the cold away. My nose felt as if something was biting at it, and I could see my air as I breathed out. I watched as the stars went by us, and I felt my heart skip a beat when I saw my home, behind the trees and undergrowth.

"We're home, Miss." Curtis opened the door, and helped me down.

"Camille." My mother's voice rang in my ears, "Welcome home, darling!" She rushed toward me, and hugged me tightly, this wasn't the woman I remembered.

"It is nice to be home, mother. I have missed it." I wrapped my arms around her waist, in taking her scent. Cigars, most likely my grandfathers, scotch, and roses.

"7 years, was too long. I am sorry for the rare visits, but when grandpa came here to live, and the business has been quite busy, I just had no time to get there. But boarding school has done well for you, kitten." She brushed my hair from my eyes holding me at arms length, "now come, you must be starving and exhausted."

I just realized how hungry I just was and I nodded up at her, "I am, quite a bit, actually mother."

"Come on, Nani, has made you some soup, your favorite chicken noodle." She took my hand kissing it softly.

"Alright mother." She led me into the house and Nani met us, taking my gloves, hat, and coat. She came back and went into the kitchen.

"While she gets that read, let us sit and talk about your party." She walked to the sitting room. I saw in the arm chair, straightening my dress. Nani brought me my soup, and I listened to my mother, talk about the food, guests, and my dress. I couldn't hear her, I just sat quietly and ate my soup, and focused on my father's chair. I realized the gaping hole that had been in my chest that I had been avoiding for 7 years.