Preference

"Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave." 

"Camille, remember this imagination is key to making the world turn. Never let your imagination go. Reading is the adventure; I've given it to you, because you deserve to fly with those adventures. And whenever you doubt something, or feel alone open those books, I will be within them." My father kissed my head, and gave me a big hug, lifting me off the ground.

I smiled slightly, "I will father, I promise." I watched as he grabbed his hat. 

"I will see you in two months, kitten." I watched him as he got into the carriage, but before he left he looked at me, with a straight face, “And remember there is always secrets within them.” He winked at me, and closed the carriage door.

"Bye papa!" I watched as the carriage drove away, till all it was, was a memory inside my head.

My father, was my best friend, and he taught me to read and write, which my mother said was something I should be learning at a boarding school, along with how to be a lady. We would run around the manor reenacting my favorite scenes from books. One day we were dashing pirates at sea, the next we were searching the jungle for the treasure.

My mother on the other hand, would scowled saying I should be in a boarding school, and going to balls with them which I found always quite boring. She said I should not be sticking my nose in books. I fought with all my heart to not enter the world of London’s high society, I knew once it got ahold of me, the web of lies and scandals were sure to fall me. When I couldn't see the carriage anymore, I turned back into the house, and walked up the staircase to the library, the one place in the house where I felt like I was whole when my father was away.

At that moment, I had no idea my whole world was going to change. 

I was ten years old, and it had only been a month since my father said goodbye to me, and my father passed away on his trading ship. We never knew why or what happened, just received the news from Mr. Madison, his partner. I spent the first few weeks, hiding in the library, my brother, Aiden tried to carry me out, but I fought hitting him with my fist, crying. I hardly ate, I felt like I was dead, and all I could do was lay on the couch crying harder and harder, till I finally was out of tears. Then the next 3 weeks, was denial. I shut the door, and pretended that it wasn't there at all, that the library wasn’t part of our house.

As soon as I let go of the library, the books, my father’s words, I was my mother’s. She turned my world upside down shortly, and quickly. My life began to turn to the society, and my mother began teaching me lessons, on etiquette and making arrangements to go to boarding school. 

She choose to tell me at a night, where we were sharing tea. I stood up from the table, realizing my worst fear had just been confirmed. I threw my napkin on the chair and ran out the front door. I choose the only place outside that I knew I could go, the stables. As I reached the stables, I fell against a pole, and to the ground crying.

"Camille? Is everything ok?" I heard a musical voice, and looked up to see Lucas, my father’s business partner’s son. He was slightly older than me, with brown hair and pretty blue eyes. My mother called him, my childhood sweetheart.

"Yes, just I leave tomorrow for St. Margret’s, and I am scared. I am leaving for 7 years... till it's my coming out party which just makes it ten times worse." I whipped the tears away from my eyes. 

He kneeled by me, "I heard about that, from my father." He took my hand, and stroked it with his thumb, "I am going away to, if it helps." 

"Why, Lucas?" I felt my eyes go large, out of curiosity. 

"School. Just like you. So I can take over the business, most likely with Aiden. Or with you?” He winked at me.

We continued our conversation, as he made jokes, and we found our comfort with each other. This was normal, he was the only person other then my father, and Aiden that I found comfort with and not trying to fight to be someone I wasn’t, like I had been doing with my mother. I looked up and saw that the sun was setting. "Oh! Lucas, I have to go." 

"So should I," he stood up, and gave me his hand to help me up. 

"Thank you." I slid my hand into his, and standing up. I dusted my dress off, watching as a cloud of dirt flew off. "Lucas, can you make me a promise?" 

"Anything." He gave me a crocked smile, and I giggled. 

"Will you write me?" I looked at my knotted hands. 

"I shall, Camille. Goodbye." He bowed, kissing my hand. 

"Goodbye Lucas." I curtsied low, but as I turned to go, “Lucas!”

He stopped in his track, turning toward me, “Yes?”

I ran toward him, landing with my lips on his. He took my head in his hands and kissed me back. As I pulled away, I felt my cheeks turn warm. “Goodbye, Lucas.” I smiled and turned back heading toward my manor.

“Goodbye, Cami.”

"There you are, Camille!" my mother was standing on the lawn. “I’ve been looking for you.”

"I am sorry, I just needed sometime to settle the thought of boarding school. I spoke with Lucas while I was there." I stood waiting to get a lecture from her. Or just hide all emotions.

"Oh, alright. Anne has packed all your belongings into your trunk, along with some food for the trip. You will leave first thing in the morning, I have business so I will not be here to see you off." I moved in, expecting a hug, but I watched my mother just walk toward her bedroom.

I was left alone on the porch, watching as my mother, the person who I should be closest to, pretending me leaving was nothing. I felt my heart sink, and I was sure I was going to cry again, but I put my head up and walked into our house, thinking to myself, 7 years and I will be with Lucas, and life may be normal again.

*This chapter has been editied.