Chapter Twelve

"Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave."

"What color are you ladies thinking for your dresses?"  The seamstress stood in front of us, point to the fabrics that lined the walls. "It is for the Calston's masquerade?"

"Yes."

"So far my dresses have been classic colors, what would you like though, Miss. Brexton?"

"I would prefer blues or black." 

"We have a design, I can show you, that I would believe you would enjoy, here I will get it." She turned, picking her skirts up walking to the counter. She pulled the paper over to me, and smiled, “This?”

I nodded, “Please go for it.” I smiled at them, and took Rose’s hand, “But we must be going, good day.” Rose curtsied low, and told them we would be back in the next few days for fittings. 

“So, I also was to take you out of the house for another reason…” I looked at Rose, and stopped dead in my tracks. “Your mother, brother, and grandfather were talking with Mr. Calston, because you as asked to court you…”

“He does?” I felt my breathe leave my lips.

“I know, you aren’t sure about him, but Darius says he is a good young man, and can help you, Camille.” She touched my hands. 

“Thank you, Rose.” I touched her hand, gathering my skirts, “But I need to walk.” I took off before she said another word to me. All I could think of was my father’s warning… Maybe he was doing this, just to be able to get close to my family. To kill us? Or does my mother not know, what my father did? I gulped, still not being able to catch my breathe. Why is this happening? 

I had gotten to the church’s courtyard, only a few miles from the estate, but I found the nearest tree collapsing on the ground. I took deep breathes trying to find my mind somewhere. “May I join you?” I looked up to meet Sebastian’s eyes. 

“Yes, but why are you wondering around a church’s courtyard?”

“I was visiting my mother’s grave, I do it once a week, now what about you, you are a young lady, not rift raft.” He sat beside me, and smiled. 

“I needed to catch my breathe, and this was the best place to do that.” I folded my hands in my lap, as he ran his fingers through his hair. 

“I see, still, shouldn’t be alone.” 

“I know, I left Rose, after she told me something, and haven’t found the courage to return home, not just yet…” He smirked out of the corner of my eye.

“Henry Calston?” 

“How did you know?”

“Please, ever since Rose and Darius wedding, you are all he is talking about, saying that you were going to be his wife, and so much more. He is very determined to make a business deal with your family as well.”

“Of course, why does anyone want to marry into my family?” I clenched my dress, and Sebastian took my hand pulling it away.

“Don’t ruin the dress, you look far to pretty in it to do that.” He smiled at me, and released my hand. “But please, be careful of Calston, he is a good young man… But he does have a side to him, that I shouldn’t mention in the presence of a church. It isn’t just one thing, but remember the society’s secrets are harder to unravel then they are to create. And the Calstons’ have a lot of secrets… And you will just be another one for them.” Sebastian stood up leaning into my face, “And you are far to beautiful to be Calston’s trophy.” He kissed my head and I gasped.

“Why would you do that?” I was up on my feet, catching my balance on the tree. “You had no right.”

“No I would have no right to do this.” He leaned in and kissed my lips, and it was different then when Lucas kissed me… it made me feel like I was on fire. I realized I was being held by him, and I pushed him away raising my hand slapping it across his face. He laughed, “Well… that’s not what I expected.” He continued to laugh.

“Don’t ever touch me again like that, Sebastian, if  you do, you will regret it.” I gathered my skirts, moving quickly toward the estate… Why did my body feel like it was on fire, and why did I want to kiss him again.