Chapter Three

Chapter Three
"Better lock it in your pocket, taking this one to the grave."

I woke up with the sun, the first time since before boarding school. I swung my feet over touching the ground, a quick cold sensation moved through my body. I searched my closet for the simplest dress, I owned. It was pale blue, no ruffles, no pearls. Just simple.
I let out a sigh, and braided my hair down my back. I entered the hallway. No one was awake, not even Curtis. I tipped toed to the library, so I wouldn't wake a soul. The book I had been reading, was still sitting on the desk. I left it, and began moving my fingers along the spines of the books. I pulled out a book, my father had always loved to read, and blew the dust off. I looked the book over, before retrieving to the armchair, opening it on my lap. I began reading, and noticed that my father had written in the margins. I ignored it till one of them took up nearly half the page.
The threat is giving everyone a good scare. But I cannot tell if the threats are true and I have Catherine. She wants to pretend that we are ok. But the threat is death, they usually don't play around.
I finished the last sentence, and just sat there, stunned. Who are they? Why'd they want my father dead? Is that what happened? Does my mother know? The questions swam in my head and I shut the book. I couldn't even tell what emotion was running through my head.
"Miss?" I jumped, and the book fell to my ground, it was just Curtis."Sorry to scare you, but do you want some tea or anything?
"Yes. But I will have them it in the sitting room." I set the book on the desk, exiting the room. Aiden was walking out of the room, sending a award winning smile. "You are up early, Kitten."
"Early bird gets the worm." I skipped past hi,, down the stairs.
He joined me in the sitting room, and I looked at him as I took a huge sip of tea. "So who was the young woman you were with?"
Aiden's cheeks begin to turn red. "Olivia Rhett."
I began to choke, "Rhett? As in your commanding officer, Rhett?"
"Yes, but her father enjoys my company, and I can still uphold her lifestyle." He sat up straight, looking proud.
I took another sip of tea, taking a realization that my brother was going to be gone soon. Right when I went to speak, mother walked in. "Good morning, my darlings." She kissed both of our heads. "How are you?
Aiden spoke first, "I am well."
"As I am." The lie rolled off my tongue and I tried to stay calm.
"Well, I am glad to hear that." She beamed, "So Camille I was wondering if I would be able to take you to the trading office today?"
I felt a lump in my throat, thinking of Lucas, but then my father came into my mind, "Mother, yes I would love to go."
"Aiden?"
"I am calling on Miss. Rhett today."
My mother's face lit up, "I knew you two would hit it off!"
"Mother please." Aiden blushed standing up.
"So mother when do we leave?" I smiled at her.
"I will have Curtis get the carriage ready, and I will grab my paperwork."
I watched as my mom left, and Aiden followed, I closed my eyes taking a deep breath. I was scared of going to a place that use to be my favorite place to play. I smiled as my mother reappeared holding stacks of papers. "Come on darling."
I could smell the sweet salt air before even getting outta of the carriage, and I saw the trading company standing out of the fog. I let my heart take it in without letting anything else cross my mind. 

"Are you coming inside, Camille?" My mother was holding the door looking at me.

"Yes, coming."I looked at her and smiled.

As we entered, familiar faces and objects came into my view and I felt at home. Mr. Madison broke me out of my daze, "Welcome home, Camille." He opened his arms and I fell into them.

"It's nice to be home, I didn't see you at the party?"

"I was there, but you were being spun around by so many people." He smiled. 

"Well I always have time for you." I  took a step back at him, looking at his wrinkling face, "Well, are you ready for your daughters wedding?"

"Yes. It's scary, but it will happen." 

"Yes it will very soon. How is the business?"

"Well come here," I could tell I excited him as he led me to a giant world map on the wall, "see all the darts? Those are our new locations, we have all of ours in Asia, but we are expanding to America." 

"It seems so long since I saw this old map." I touched the darts and traced my finger to the first one they ever put on. "But I love watching this expand."

"So do we, so do we. I must get back to some paperwork with your mother."

"Have fun." I was still staring at the map, and I could hear someone walking up behind me.

"Camille?" I whipped around to see my worst nightmare staring at me, Lucas.

"Hello, Lucas." I curtsied, probably throwing to much attitude for a young lady in.

"What are you doing here?"

That st it off, "Last time I checked, Mr. Madison, my family still owned part of this business, and with Aiden in the Guard, maybe I will take over for my mother." My words began to eat at him, and at me.

"Well, I would be privileged to work along beside, such a intelligent young woman."

Trying to buy his way with compliments, really?

"I am sorry, but your compliment will get you nowhere with me, Mr. Madison." I had my hands on my hips, looking up at him. 

"I know your still mad, Camille. But please, it's beyond my control." His eyes were sympathetic.

"Whats beyond your control?" The voice was unfamiliar, and made me feel sick to my stomach. 

He spun on his heel, and I caught a glimpse of her. Dark brown hair curled to perfection, with light skin, like buttermilk. "Nothing important, darling." 

There it was, the sick feeling growing inside my stomach until I wanted to vomit. "Okay, who's this, Lucas?" 

Her voice sounded like nails on a chalk board as she snaked her arm through his. 

"This is Camille Brexton, her family owns part of this company."

"Oh, this is Camille!' She shrieked, "So happy to meet you.Lucas, we are going to be late for tea."

"I know, we must go, see you soon Camille."

"Goodbye, Mr.Madison." I nodded my head to both, turning on my heel toward my mother's office. I tried to shake the feeling that I was going to be sick, but as I grew closer to my mother's office I heard whispers, and I stopped dead in my tracks.

"Catherine, these threats are getting worse."

"I know they are, Herb." 

"They already killed..."

"STOP! I don't want to think about what happened to my husband, what they could have done."

"I know, Catherine, but they are threatening him now, and her. What will we do."e

"I don't know.. But Herb, I can't let Camille know her life is on the line."

That's when my world fell into blackness...