Chapter 27

Ruhya stood frozen as Judar's limp body laid splayed out on the ground. She couldn't hear or see anything going on around her, all she could focus on was Judar's limp body.

Her eyes slowly trailed up to the headless giant as it raised its arms to deliver the final blow.

Time slowed down as the giant slammed its fists down, creating a blast strong enough to push Ruhya back several feet.

Her vision went blurry as her head hit stone debris with a painful smack. A thin stream of blood ran down her face. Ruhya weakly crawled on the ground toward the giant, she needed to get to Judar.

A strong pair of arms picked her up and slung her over their back. They carried her away from the battle scene.

"No! Stop! I- I have to save him! Judar!!" Ruhya screeched, clawing at the air as the scene became smaller and smaller.

Streams of tears ran down Ruhya's face as she sobbed violently. She drew in painful gasps as spasms shook her body. Her throat felt raw as she screamed Judar's name until darkness finally overtook her as she fainted.

~~

Ruhya opened her eyes, finding herself propped up in a corner of a partially fallen down building. A haze of dust clung to the air and filled her lungs. She coughed a few times and wiped her eyes. As her vision cleared, Ruhya realized she wasn't alone. Instantly she drew her legs close to her and searched around for anything that she could protect herself with.

"Who's there?" Ruhya shouted. A quick movement from the dust haze caught her eye and she backed deeper into the dark corner. Slowly a figure emerged from the figure, a single finger held up to their lips.

"You!" Ruhya gasped as she recognized the figure as the mute sailor from the ship. A wave of guilt washed over her as she realized he lost her tongue because of her. Fresh tears filled her eyes as the mutilated man came closer to her.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I had no idea..." Ruhya whispered hoarsely. The man came up to her, a kind look in his eyes. He opened up his arms and exhaled slowly. Ruhya cried out as she rushed into his arms.

"Urgh eh." Gazeem mumbled as Ruhya sobbed into his shoulder. Gently he patted her back comforting her as best he could.

Ruhya didn't know for how long she cried, but the tears didn't stop coming. She cried tears of shock for the truth about Peli. She cried tears of pain and relief for the man's tongue and his everpresent kindness. Most of all Ruhya cried tears of sorrow for Judar.

"It's all my fault. I never should have left Judar. I feel so stupid." Ruhya sobbed.

Gazeem pulled Ruhya off of his shoulder and looked at her with warmth in his eyes. Her face was a mess, a combination of tears, dirt, and blood coated most of her skin. Gently, Gazeem used his sleeve to clean Ruhya's face.

"Thank you, I don't know how I can ever truly express how grateful I am." Ruhya mumbled as she wiped her eyes. Gazeem simply smiled.

A sudden noise made Gazeem snap his head toward the street. He pulled away from Ruhya, slinking into the shadows.

"What's wrong?" Ruhya asked. Gazeem grunted urgently, motioning for Ruhya to follow him. His grunting became more urgent as Ruhya stared at him with confusion. He gave one last grunt, more of a sorrowful whimper before disappearing into the darkness.

"Wait!" Ruhya cried out. She turned to the street as the sound of footsteps suddenly became noticeable. She glanced out before gasping. Quickly Ruhya shrunk back into the corner, hoping the darkness would hide her.

"Ruhya!" A familiar voice exclaimed as they poked their head through the open doorway. Ruhya's eyes widened as Peli stepped through the doorway. She whimpered as he hurried over to her and knelt down next to her.