Chapter 19

The sun was peeking over the horizon as Judar dropped Ruhya back off to her room. She was tired, but didn't regret staying out with Judar.

He had opened himself to her, and she felt a warmness that she never expected. It was clear that Judar had changed from when they first met. 

Ruhya yawned and walked over to her bed. She still wore her dancing dress and makeup, but was too tired to change. All she wanted was to lay down and sleep. As she crawled onto her bed, her legs bumped into something large. Ruhya hummed in confusion and reached over to feel the object.

Her hands felt over a familiar rough texture. Suddenly she knew what the object was, it was the basket where she stored her stuff in the circus. 

Her father's dagger!

Ruhya yanked the basket open and frantically searched for the dagger. She pulled out blindfolds and threw them to the floor along with dancing outfits and two stuffed toys. Her fingers reached the bottom of the basket without finding the dagger.

"No, No! NO!" Ruhya cried out, her hands flew up to face in despair. How could she have been so stupid?!

Her mind had been so filled with Judar that she had completely forgotten about finding her father. And know she had lost the only clue to his identity. Tears stung her eyes and she began to shake.

A sharp knock at her window caught her attention and she turned to look at the window.

"Ruhya? Are you in here?" A voice called out. The window opened and someone crawled though.

"Peli? Is that you?" Ruhya asked with a sniffle. The young musician walked up to Ruhya and put his hand on her shoulder. 

"What's wrong? Why are you crying?"

"I- I lost something very precious to me."

"Was it something in this basket?" Peli asked. Ruhya nodded and wiped at her nose. There was the sound of shuffling clothes as Peli reached into his shirt.

"Is it this?"

He reached for Ruhya's hands and placed a jeweled dagger in them.

"Where did you find it?" Ruhya gasped in surprise and clutched the dagger close to her chest. 

"Before I left the circus, I grabbed your basket. I've had it with for some time, but was never able to give it to you. I sensed the dagger was important to you, so I was going to give it to you after the banquet, but I couldn't find you. It was like you had disappeared." 

Ruhya felt a pang of hurt at Peli's tone. He had been waiting for her, but she left with Judar. It was like she had abandoned him even though he had left everything to stay with her.

"I'm so sorry Peli! My eyes hurt badly after the performance so I turned in for the night early. I feel so bad for missing most of your drum playing." Ruhya said. She felt bad for lying to Peli, but she would feel even worse if she admitted she had spent the entire night with Judar instead of listening to Peli play as she had promised.

"Don't worry, there will always be another opportunity." Peli said cheerfully, though his voice was strained. 

The two sat in silence for a few moments before a question popped into Ruhya's mind. Her night of talking with Judar had made her feel contemplative.

"Hey Peli, why are you here?"

"Wh-what?"

"I mean, why did you leave the circus? Why did you come to the palace?"

"Isn't it obvious? I left because of you. There was no way I could leave you here alone."

"I still don't understand. Your life at the circus was a good one, why did you leave it all for me?"