Chapter 23

Ruhya slowly opened her eyes as she awoke from a dreamless sleep. 

"Good morning, Ruhya." Came a voice from behind her. Ruhya turned her head and saw Peli who was snuggled up behind her. His arm wrapped around her, pulling her tightly against him.

The two of them were laying in a hammock of some kind hanging from large wooden beams. They swung gently as Ruhya sighed and mumbled out a greeting to Peli. 

Gently Ruhya took Peli's arm off of her and climbed out of the hammock. She unwrapped her blindfold from around her wrist and tied it around her eyes. She crouched down and searched around for her shoes, slipping them on her feet once she found them. 

"Peli, can you take me up to the deck? I need some fresh air."

"Sure, just let me wake up first." Peli joked as he wrapped the hammock's edges around him. Ruhya smiled as she pulled on the hammock, causing Peli to half fall out. He chuckled as he stood and then grabbed Ruhya's hand.

Slowly Peli led Ruhya up some wooden steps. She could feel the sun on her skin as they emerged from the dark ship hull. The sea breeze ruffled her hair and left a slight chill on her face. Peli placed her hands on the edge of the ship, making sure she had a tight grip.

"Stay here, I'll go get us some breakfast. Don't talk to anyone, the men aboard this ship are not the kind you should associate yourself with." Peli said, more sternly than Ruhya expected. She nodded, not really in the mood to talk to anyone anyways. Peli hummed with satisfaction before walking away.

Ruhya rested her chin on her hands and sighed. 

Was she doing the right thing? Was it really okay to just run away? To leave Judar?

She frowned at the thought of Judar. Had he read her note? How did he react? No, she didn't want to think about his reaction.

"I hope you can forgive me, Judar." Ruhya whispered to herself as her lip trembled. Quickly she shook her head and tried to clear her head of any thoughts of Judar, but the more she tried to forget the more she remembered. 

She remembered the way his ruby eyes sparkled when he laughed, the silkiness of his dark hair, the warmth of his skin. She remembered his gift of stars and meals they shared. Most of all, she remembered his vulnerability, and the tenderness he kept hidden from the world. 

Tears stung her eyes and a painful lump formed in her throat. Maybe she had made a mistake.

"Are you alright, Miss?"

Ruhya turned with surprise. She had gotten so lost in her thoughts that she hadn't heard the man come up to her. His voice was low and slightly hoarse, Ruhya could hear a slight lisp when he spoke. 

"Um, yes. I'm fine." Ruhya said cautiously. Peli had warned her about the men on the ship, but she wasn't sure how dangerous they could be. Her fingers tightened their grip as she imagined being pushed over the edge and into the cold unforgiving sea. She kept her face straight, hoping that if the man noticed she didn't turn to him then he would realize that she didn't want to talk.

"If you're thinking of jumping, you should do it quickly. Do it while he's distracted." The stranger quietly said to Ruhya. His words startled her but his tone sounded sincere, as if he was actually trying to help her. 

"What do you mean?"

"A short life in the water is ten times better than a long one by his side. Now is the only chance of escape you'll have, he won't give you another."

"Escape by dying? Are you crazy? Who are you even talking about?" Ruhya asked, her anxiety starting to spike.

"The man that arranged for you to leave the palace. His name is-"