Chapter 6

The sound of laughter and music filled the large dimly lit room. A drunk group of men lounged around on cushions near a low-rise table. The smell of cheap wine was everywhere, and the men drank goblet after goblet of the crimson liquid. Scantily clad women filled the goblets and sat on the laps of the men. Their painted faces accompanied by easy smiles and laughter did little to hide the exhaustion and emptiness in their eyes.  

A lone woman dressed in blue silk walked up to a raised platform, many lustful eyes followed her. She raised her arms and waited for the music. As a rhythm from a drum began to beat the woman's hips swayed. She kept to the tempo of the beat, swaying slow then fast. She spun in a circle and the watching men hooted in approval as her thin skirt billowed upwards, exposing her tan thighs. All others were forgotten, the woman in blue held all the men's attention. They all watched her with desire clouding their minds. Gold coins were thrown as the woman moved her arms sensually down her body.

At the end of the dance, the woman in blue bent down to collect the glittering coins around her. She gathered them in the folds of her skirt and quickly sashayed off the stage. The hands of a few bold men grabbed at her as she passed by, her face held a permanent smile but her soul screamed out in disgust.

She laughed at the men's leers and lewd remarks, hoping to squeeze a final coin from them as she passed by. The other scantily clad women in the room shot her venomous looks, there would be less coins for their purses tonight. The woman in blue paid little mind to the vipers and continued on her way. She didn't have time to worry about them as someone special was waiting for her back in her room.

The door to her room creaked as she pushed it open. She cringed at the irritating noise, if only Madam Sosa would take the time to fix the personal rooms. A rueful chuckle escaped her lips, the only thing Madam Sosa would spend money on were the things used to draw in more customers.

A soft snore from inside pulled the woman in blue from her bitter thoughts. She closed the door behind her and sat on the corner of the small bed. She looked down at a young girl with brown hair wrapped up in a thin blanket and softly touched her face. The soft touch was enough to stir the girl and she opened her eyes.

"Mother, you're back!" The little girl exclaimed as she jumped up and wrapped her arms around the woman's neck.

"Be careful darling, Madam Sosa would be upset if you tore my dress." The woman in blue chided as she peeled off the arms from herself. She poured the coins from her dress onto the bed and motioned for her daughter to scoot over. Carefully she counted the coins and made sure her numbers were accurate. She always had a hard time adding up the numbers, several times she had been punished for accidentally giving Madam Sosa the incorrect amount of coins. Quietly the little girl also counted the coins, often she corrected her mother on the amount of coins there were.

"How much did the Uncles give you?" The small girl asked, the correct number already in her head.

"Enough for me to spend the night." The woman in blue replied, relief and happiness evident on her face. She would be able to spend the night with her daughter instead of pulling a man into one of the many bedrooms. Since she had earned the nightly quota during her dance, her night with her daughter would go uninterrupted unless a customer specifically asked to be 'entertained' by her. Finally she would have a night of sleep and peace with her precious daughter.

"Mother, will I be able to dance for the Uncles just like you one day?"

"My dear Ruhya, I pray that day never comes"

***

"Hey Dancer! Did you hear me? Are you stupid or something?"

Ruhya gasped painfully as she was pulled from her memories. She looked around in a panic until her eyes met ruby red ones. All the recent events came crashing down on her and knocked the breath out of her. Ruhya clutched at her chest and searched wildly for her blindfold. She didn't like the way he was able to look directly into her eyes, it made her feel vulnerable and naked.