Chapter 15

Judar stood with his hand on the knob of the door to Moondancer's room. He was going to enter when he heard a laugh, it was the unmistakable laugh of a woman. It had to be Moondacer. Judar had never heard her laugh before.

She was laughing. Why was she laughing? Who was making her laugh?

A fit of unexplained jealousy coursed through Judar and darkened his mood. Without knocking he opened the door, hoping to catch the one in the room, but as he looked around the dark room the only one inside was Moondancer.

"Hello? Who's there?"

Judar stood quietly, ignoring Moondancer's question. He stared at her, what was it about her that seemed to draw him in? Could it be her eyes? That was a possibility, but Judar was positive he could find a jewel that changed color in the same way. It had to be something else.  Whatever it is, it is certainly strong enough to make Judar not want to let her be taken from him.

"Hel-"

"It's me." Judar finally answered as he pulled out of his thoughts. He walked over to the bed and sat on the chair next to it. The sparse candlelight illuminated Moondancer's tan skin with a warm glow. Judar resisted the urge to touch her cheek instead he grabbed his long braid to keep his hands busy.

"Uh, hey." Moondancer said quietly. She fiddled with the bed cover, clutching it in her fists.

"So, uh, how are you feeling?" Judar asked awkwardly. He grimaced at himself, since when did he act like such a dork?

"I didn't feel so good, but I'm much better now." Moondancer responded. Judar nodded, and his cheeks warmed as he realized Moondancer couldn't see him.

"So, how is Kouta doing?" Moondancer asked after a few seconds of deafening silence.

"The kid's fine. He was just a bit roughed up. He should be fine, but now his mom won't take her stupid eyes off him." Judar said. He pulled his braid in surprise as Moondancer suddenly began to cry.

"Woah, woah, woah! What's wrong?"

"I-I'm sorry. It's just such a relief that he's okay. Those men were really rough, I was so scared they would hurt him." Moondancer stammered out as she wiped the stray tears that escaped her blindfold. Without saying anything Judar wrapped an arm around Moondancer and pulled her close. Her head rested against his nearly bare torso.

"It's okay. You did a good job of protecting him." Judar reassured. Moondancer cried for a few more moments before pulling away. She wiped at her face, but kept one hand on top of Judar's.

Warmth seemed to blossom from Judar's hand and spread throughout his entire body. It wasn't like the physical warmth a fire pit provides, but rather deep warmth Judar felt touching his soul.

Judar frowned slightly, what was he feeling? For a moment he wondered if he was sick or maybe even delusional. His heart felt as if it was beating faster and his hands were getting a little sweaty.

He had to get away. There had to be something about Moondancer that was making him feel this way. He needed to get away to clear his head. The foreign feeling coursing through his body was making him very uncomfortable.

Judar stood, the longer he stayed in this room the harder it would be for him to leave.

"Hey, Judar, I heard there's going to be a banquet tomorrow. Is there a chance that I can go?" Moondancer called out. Her voice was hopeful but careful, as if she was afraid to ask.

"...Sure."

"Thank you. I'm excited to hear Peli play, it's been a while since I've heard his drum."