Chapter 25

Candlelight illuminated Ruhya's face, casting a warm glow on her skin. She sat on a large bed with tapestry hanging from above. 

Ruhya rubbed her eyes and let out a sigh. It had been about a day and a half since she arrived in Balbadd. It was hard to tell time from the room Peli had put her in, the windows were sealed shut and she wasn't allowed to leave. 

Peli had told her that the men who lived in the building and made up what he called The Fog Troupe were dangerous. It was for her own safety that she wasn't allowed to leave the room. All her meals were brought up by Peli. 

A soft knock caught Ruhya's attention. She quickly stood up and went over to the door. 

"Peli, thank goodness. It was getting really lonely." Ruhya awkwardly chuckled. Peli gave her a big smile and wrapped her up in a warm hug. 

"Ah, it's so good to see you. It's been a stressful day." Peli sighed as he leaned down and rested his forehead on Ruhya's shoulder. 

"What's wrong?"

"Ah, nothing really. Just some politics stuff my brother is concerned about. ... Also, I guess I'm a bit weary of the people around here, a lot of them don't really like me." Peli admitted. 

He walked deeper into the room and closed the door behind him. He flopped down on the bed and spread his arms out. Ruhya walked over and sat next to him, she looked at him with a compassionate smile.

"Must be rough for a 16-year-old."

Peli snapped his eyes open and quickly sat up. Ruhya flinched with surprise at his sudden movements.

"I may be 16, but I am a man you know. Don't look at me like a child." Peli stated as he grabbed Ruhya's hands, an intense look in his eyes.

"Peli, I uh-"

"I've already made my feelings for you known. Now all I need to hear is your response. Please tell me you feel the same." Peli said as he looked deep into Ruhya's eyes. 

Ruhya blinked in surprise and then looked away, suddenly feeling very vulnerable without her blindfold. Slowly she pulled her hands away.

"Peli, you're a very special person to me, but I don't know if our feelings are the same-"

"Shh, don't say that. You're just confused. I know we feel the same way, why else would you run away with me?"

"Wait-"

"It's okay, I know you still must be tired from the long trip. Just rest and we can talk about this later." Peli interrupted as he gently cupped Ruhya's face. His fingers felt like ice on her skin.

He stood and walked over to the door, looking back as Ruhya called for him.

 "Can I go outside tomorrow?"

"No, it's dangerous out there. You're safer in here."

With that Peli walked out, shutting the door firmly behind him. Ruhya stared at the closed door, a strange feeling brewing in the pit of her stomach. 

Time seemed to tick by slowly as Ruhya sat in the room alone. She paced back and forth, deep in thought.

Was Peli right? Was she actually in love with him? Why did she leave with him?

As Ruhya turned in her pacing a small flutter of movement caught her eye. She turned toward the door and saw a folded paper being quickly pushed under it. Ruhya quickly ran over and grabbed the note. She unfolded it and walked over to the candle so she could read it.