{Chapter 8}

{Previous: I clenched my fists. No, we aren't going back. I'll light this place up with torches even with skeletons shooting arrows at me! I grabbed a burnt out old torch from the wall and threw it at the floor before sticking my own torch in it. "Come on let's get started."}

After what seemed like all day, we had a wide portion of the ravine lit up. This is a good start cause while lighting the ravine up Ron had found a huge man made hole in the wall at the bottom of the ravine. We walked into it and to our right was a door broken wide open. It looked like whoever was inside really wanted to get OUT of the room. We looked inside and found a row of four beds on the right and so many chests against the wall on the left. Straight ahead was a row of regular old furnaces. I can't remember the last time I saw these. They all sorta died off after the smoker and blast furnace came in. There was a faded blue carpet in the center. There were a few bookshelf's filled with old books too. I turn to Ron who was looking behind us. I look too and realized that the man made hole we were in was like a long endless hall with several other holes in it. It's like a typical maze mine. Except these go straight and don't turn. Come to think of it, these places are practically ancient. They've been sitting here for so long collecting dust. "Where would we even start?" I asked softly. Ron casually points to the first hole "We'll Start here and find anything that was left behind, than we'll work our way through the unfinished mines." I nod before following Ron into the hall like hole. We had found some coal left laying around and the occasional iron ore. It felt as if we had been walking for awhile when we had finally hit the end. Nothing. That's a little disappointing. We turn back around to go through the other holes. After going through about 3 more of them we have found smaller holes that led to cave systems. We left the caves since the torches have died out and the torches in our hands were the only light source we got at the moment. Yeah I wouldn't be surprised if we had missed some ores in the previous holes because it's so dark. "Hey, we should start mining here since it seems to be unfinished." I said to Ron. He didn't answer which made me assume he was 'dozing off' again. I turn around but to my shock he wasn't there at all. All that was left there was his still lit torch laying on the floor. Worried and annoyed I put out Ron's torch he left and walked back to look for him. That idiot. I get he wants to help his family but he could of picked ANY job in the world. But nooo it just HAD to be this one. Now I have to look for him in a dark cold abandon mineshaft. "Ron! Where ever you are, stay where you are and let me know where you are!" I yelled. My voice echoed effortlessly throughout the caves. I wait there for a moment to see if he would respond. Nothing. "Damn it." I mumbled under my breath as I walked over to the other holes, yell his name on each of them but with no response. He couldn't have gone far. Unless he ran... but if he ran I would have heard him! I thought before groan in annoyance and putting my self to a abrupt halt. There was that same metal on metal sound but this time it followed with a loud crash. As if someone had broke their window into bits and pieces. It seemed to be coming from the end of the current hall I'm in. I turn around behind me at the seemingly endless hall. Come to think of it, we never did go down to the end to see what's there. Reluctantly, I began walking in that direction. It felt more eerie and quiet than usual. Maybe because Ron isn't here. A shiver crawled up my back as a cold breeze hit my back. Must have come from the ravine.  "Ron." I spoke again, but less loudly. It faintly echoes down the hall. It was so quiet down here. Until I heard it again. Not the metal on metal noise. Not the crashes of glass. No. The faint footsteps behind me. It could just be me, maybe my footsteps were echoing behind me. Or I could just be freaking myself out. No it's definitely not my footsteps, and I'm definitely not going crazy. Cause those faint steps soon were getting louder and louder, closer and closer to me. It could be Ron. Maybe this whole time he was trying to scare me. But would he go through the effort of trying to scare me by leaving without a torch? As much as I wanted to turn around and give Ron a piece of my mind, I couldn't. I was.... scared. For once in my life I actually felt scarred. I didn't want to turn around anymore. After all that's happened this past week I'm not sure if it's the best idea to turn around. But I can't just continue walking forever. That's when I decided to make a rather... cocky decision. I took a inhale of breath before stopping dead in my tracks. The footsteps continued a little more until they stopped directly behind me. You ever just have that vibe that tells you someone is standing behind you whether you can feel them or not? That's what I'm getting at the moment. I clenched my fists before turning my body around to face whoever it was behind me.

No one was there.

I jumped as there was a loud scream following with another crash coming from the direction I was heading. It sounded like Ron. I began to run as fast as I could until I got to a wide opening. I began to slow down as I was met with another ravine. Parts of the place was lit by lava flowing from the roof. But the one thing that was absolutely off without a doubt. Was the fact there was light reflecting back to me from several directions. It was mirrors. Mirrors were set us. There was even one next to me. But I could care less. Cause at the opening of the ravine, at the edge before a long drop. Sitting there surrounded by shattered glass was Ron hugging himself. Seemingly starring into nothing.

(Merry 1 day late Christmas!)