{Chapter 2}

{Previous: The villager who was in front turned and spoke "Sorry you two, this is as far as I can go without a warrant." Ronny and I both look to each other then to the forest. Without any second to waist we both grabbed all our things and got moving.}

The grass made small mushy sounds as we walked along the path through the forest. We had already been walking for a good 3 hours when we stumbled upon a sign. "That's strange." Ron spoke. I looked ahead of him at the sign.
'Beware' it said. Slightly unnerved to the sign I shrug it off "Pillagers must of put it there. Or the last people who were here." Ron nods in agreement before continuing forward. "If it were others. Then why do you think they put the sign there?" Ron asked. "Probably to make sure we didn't run into trouble unexpectedly." I responded along with a shrug. Ron opened his mouth to say something but quickly shut it, shivering to the cold breeze. Not long after, I heard Ron speak again "Another one?? As if one warning wasn't enough." I looked ahead again and sure enough there was another sign.
'Keep Out' it read. "That's a warning for sure."
"These signs look pretty old. Whatever it was that encouraged the previous miners to put these signs here must have scared them." I said. "Do you think whatever made them flee is still here?" Ron asked as he continued to stare at the sign as we walked past it. "Most certain. But either way, we are more prepared and advance then the last miners here." I reassured him. He hums in understanding before reaching into his bag to grab something to drink.
We continued to walk in silence, another hour has past, four hours we have been on foot. Hopefully when Ron goes back out to town we could get a horse or two. I thought to myself. "Hey Y/N." Ron said. I looked up to him, he seemed a little on edge as he starred out into the forest "I didn't want to say anything before but. Ever since we got off the wagon I couldn't help but feel like we were being watched."
"Could it be the mobs?" I asked.
"Sorta. I didn't see any mobs. Come to think of it I haven't seen a single living creature since we entered the forest." He answered. That's oddly specific, almost like the story I've read about the ghost. One of the things he did before was making humans feel isolated by keeping mobs and animals out of range. I smirked a little before saying with a dark tone "Maybe it's the ghost."
"PFFT! DONT EVEN JOKE LIKE THAT. He's not even real."
"Then why are you telling me to not joke about it? Scaaaaared?"
"As if! I just think it's dumb to joke around with something that isn't real."
"Well that doesn't makes sense."
Ron was silent for a moment "Ok maybe I'm a little unnerved about it being a ghost. But it's not stopping me from continuing forward!"
He marched his way up hill before suddenly stopping dead in his tracks. I walk up the hill and as I got closer I spoke "What's the matter? Getting cold fe-" Before I could finish my sentence I looked to see what Ron had found. It was another sign. But this one was carved and written with some unknown substance. "Is that... blood?" I asked. Ron was silent for a moment. Trying to figure out what to say. I look at the sign again.
"Come right in?" I mumbled in confusion. Just a moment ago the signs were warning us to keep out. Now it's welcoming us?? "Hey Ron. You good?" I asked looking up to Ron. He took a inhale of breath before marching past the sign. "Must continue forward!" He said. He's quite determined. Then again I would do the same if I were in his shoes.

There were no more signs after that. That is until a few minutes later.
'Welcome'
It read. Sitting right behind it was a very clear line across the path. It looked as if someone put it there for something important. I look to Ron who seemed just as puzzled as I was about the line. "So, you wanna be the first to step foot in this land Ron?" I asked. He looks to me before smirking "Scared?"
"Nah. Just don't feel like being the first to do it. I'll be second." I said with a light chuckle.
He lets out a lighthearted sigh before muttering "Suit yourself."
He sets one foot over the line before the other came forward. He stopped, before letting a chill crawl up his back. He turns back around and nods his head to me. I take another step. And just when I was expecting to get the same chill... nothing. I didn't get any creepy vibe or anything. I let out a sigh of relief before following Ron. It wasn't long til the path led to a small opening with a house surrounded with fence and a small not so maintained farm.

 It wasn't long til the path led to a small opening with a house surrounded with fence and a small not so maintained farm

The house was hovered by logs with a already built mine beneath it. Stairs leading up to it looked uneven and one seemed out of place. The previous owners could have at least make a railing along the stairs. It looks dangerous. "What do you think of it?" Ron asked, almost like he wanted to hear my opinion about it before he said his. "It's alright. Needs a little clean up." I answered. "Agreed. I don't think I can handle this house covered with so much and vines."
I chuckle before readjusting the bags I had and walked to the house. "Let's check out the inside." Ron reluctantly nods before following behind me.
The inside was more cleaner then the outside. It was small with a bunk bed. There was a handle with a old iron pick hanging off it. And there was a mug with a bowl of dried clay sitting next to it on the only table here. I look to the right by the chests to see another door. While Ron set his bags down I opened the door and was met with a putrid smell. I gagged loudly before backing away from the door. Ron walks over to where I had stood from and had nearly gagged himself. "UGH WHAT IS THAT SMELL!??" He yelled as he pulled the collar of his shirt over his nose. "NO CLUE BUT IT SMELLS DEAD!" I replied before dropping my things and stepping out side. I had never smelled something so disgusting in my life. And that's saying a lot, counting all the corpses and rotten foods I had found in mines.