Operation

Ed's POV

This was really hard. It was difficult enough seeing Louise on such a vulnerable state, but even harder trying to keep my emotions to myself. I had to stay strong. For her. Even though this never ending feeling of nervousness threatened to surface each time I thought of her cancer.

Luckily Louise and I were on holiday off work until the new year. If you could even call this a holiday.

Right now, Louise and I were sitting down waiting for the nurse to take Louise away. She was wearing on of those hospital gowns and her hair was neatly tied up into a pony tail behind her.

"Ms Clark?" The nurse called out.

Louise looked at me, worry filling her face. My heart was beating rapidly in my chest and I wished I could swap places with her so she wouldn't have to go through this. But I couldn't.

"Everything will will be okay. I'll be right here until the operation is over so you don't have to worry about anything." I assured her.

She simply nodded, too scared to speak. We both stood up and I gave Louise a good luck hug. I noticed how she gripped to me tightly as if she didn't want to let me go.

"I love you." I whispered in her ear and noticed how her body instantly relaxed.

"And I love you." Her voice was shaky.

We pulled apart a bit and I kissed her forehead.

"See you on the other side." She saluted, putting on a smile.

"Bye." I waved, smiling back.

I watched as she walked off with the nurse around the corner until she was no longer in sight.

Now all I had to do was wait.

****

I can see the city lights from where I stand on the top floor and I'm not sure if I'm dead. I raise my hands to the clouds, to check if heaven's with me now because it seems as though the devil is with me in the hotel room.

I turn around from the ledge and gaze at her lifeless body. My beautiful Louise.

Dead.

I bid this city goodnight and cover the street lamps like my eyes. When it's quiet, I'll go. Because the world won't be the same without her. No one could hold me like she would.

My toes curl and clutch to the edge, filled up with regret. Could you forgive me, Louise? Would anyone know if I fell from this hotel?

With one last look at her lifeless body, I turned and faced the ground. Don't look down, they say. But I already did. It was quiet now. There was only one thing left for me to do.

Jump.

****

I woke up with a start. It took me a while to decipher my surroundings. I was still in the hospital waiting room. I checked my watch. It was 3:49. Louise was still in theatre.

I sat up straight and shook myself a little. That was a creepy dream.

"Mr Sheeran?" A nurse walked in.

"Yeah, that's me." I stood up.

"You're girlfriend is resting in room 2c, bed 3. The anaesthetic hasn't fully worn off but she should wake up soon and then you can leave." She told me.

"Thank you." I politely thanked and shot out of the room in search of room 2c.

I walked in and saw 6 beds, 3 on the left, 3 on the right. My eyes landed on bed number 3 and I scurried towards it.