Doctor

Louise's POV

I hated waiting. Waiting only added to the strong feeling of nervousness which engulfed me. I was so glad Ed was here.

"Stop stressing. It'll be fine." Ed assured me, squeezing my hand which he was already holding.

We were in the waiting room and the time was 1:49pm. My appointment was supposed to be at 1:30pm. They were running late.

"Ed, I wanna go home. Don't make me go in there." I shook my head and stood up from my seat. "I can't bare waiting any longer."

"Come on, Lou. It'll be-" Ed began.

"Louise Clark to Room 7." The lady at the desk called out.

"Look, the doctor is ready for you and I'll be right with you, nothing is going to happen. We're just talking, remember?" Ed reminded me.

"Okay." I sighed and he held his hand out for me and I took it.

He lead me down the corridor, all the way down to Room 7. I glared at the door which was a plain brown colour and inhaled a deep breath. With a moment of hesitation, I knocked on the door.

"Come in." I heard a woman's voice say.

Refusing to let go of Ed's hand, I pushed the door open, plastering a fake smile on my face in the hopes of not looking petrified.

"Hello, you must be Louise Clark. My name is Doctor Ward." She told me. Her smile was warm and welcoming and the way she conducted herself told me she was professional yet friendly.

"Hi, is it okay if my boyfriend can stay?" I asked her then looked to Ed.

"Yes, of course." She smiled warmly.

Ed and I both sat down on the opposite side of her desk.

"Well, I'm going to get straight to the point with this." She began. "You have a cancerous tumour which needs to be removed as soon as possible to prevent the cancer from spreading any further."

"What does that mean?" Ed asked.

"We will have to book you in for an operation tomorrow morning." She revealed.

"S-sorry what? An operation? Tomorrow?" My heart rate rapidly increased.

"The sooner we remove the tumour, the better." Dr. Ward explained.

"Lou?" Ed's face looked pained as he looked down at our interlocked hands. Only then did I realise that I squeezing his hand hard and that his hand had gone bright red.

"Shit, sorry." I let go and he rubbed his hand.

"It's fine." He offered me a smile.

I watched as the doctor typed away at her computer. This was happening way too fast. An operation? I'd never had one before and I never wanted one.

"Is tomorrow at 10am good for you?" She asked me. God, it was like I was booking a hair appointment or something.

"No." I lied and stood up, pushing my chair back. "It's not."

"Louise..." Ed looked at me.

"No, Ed. I don't want to. I'm fine." I told him.

"No you're not. This will help." Ed persuaded.

What if I didn't want help?

"Miss Clark, honestly the operation is nothing to worry about. You will be under an anaesthetic, you won't feel a thing." Dr Ward assured.

"What are my chances of survival?" I asked.

"For the operation? There's no threat-" She started.