Chapter 36: Our Team is Better Than Yours

Jo

"W-wha... what are... what..." I stammer. I'm quite surprised I could actually speak right now. Of all the possibilities running through my mind after getting the call from security of "some Hero Fiennes-Tiffin" looking for me at the lobby, Hero down on his knee while holding out a diamond ring isn't one of them.

"I love you, Jo. I've always loved you since the first day I saw you... fuck! I've loved you even before I saw you. That day when you arrived at the hotel, I fell in love with your scent without even seeing who you were. I know it's crazy but it's true. I love you more than I thought I was actually capable of loving someone else. I'm sorry for leaving like that six months ago. I have no excuse for doing that but I'm fucking hoping you'd still want me in your life right now and in the years to come. The past six months have been hell without you, love... absolute fucking hell. But all those time and distance between us made me realize just how much I want to have you with me for the rest of my life, just how much I want to build a family with you. We lost our first baby but we could still try. We could have as many little Heros and tiny Jos as you want and we could settle down wherever you want-in Perth, in London or even here in LA." He's fumbling with his words, his thoughts all jumbled up and he's trying to spurt everything out before it escapes him, pausing long enough only to take in a quick breath before rambling again.

And here I am, shook to the core at what I am seeing and hearing. I'm not dreaming, right? This is all real?

"Josephine Langford... will you marry me?" he breathes finally finishing his speech. He stares at me with expectant clear green eyes, waiting for my verdict.

"What the fuck Hero! No! Get the fuck up," I screech after what seems like forever.

"No?" he whispers unbelievingly. He blinks back the tears threatening to escape down his cheeks.

In a matter of seconds, I'm right in front of him, cupping his cheeks. "No but I love you... so much baby," I tell him, caressing his cheeks. This is the first time I've touched him in six months and the feeling is indescribable, like electricity running deliciously up and down my arms.

"But you won't marry me?" he asks, confused and hurt.

"I won't, yes. Well, not right now anyway. We're still so young babe. I think we should wait until at least a few years before we talk about marriage, don't you think?"

"But what does this mean for us then?"

"I want to be with you again baby. I do, of course I do. I mean, I will always want to be with you. The last six months have been hell for me, too. But I just don't think we're ready for marriage just yet. We've been apart for half a year and you can't just expect me to agree to this whirlwind of a marriage proposal. Let's try not breaking up for at least a year, why don't we? Maybe then, we can start considering tying down," I giggle at the last part. I still can't believe he actually proposed marrying me just a few moments ago.

That's just fucking crazy!

He finally stands from the ground, cupping both sides of my face with his large hands, their warmth enveloping me all the way to my heart. Instinctively, I lean my face into them and bask in his gentle yet calloused touch.

"Who said we broke up? We were just on a break but we didn't officially break up, love," he says pointedly and I just roll my eyes at him playfully. Leaning down, he captures my lips with his and I sigh into his mouth as our tongues touch. "I love you... always," he mumbles against my lips like he can't even stop kissing me to utter the words.